THE AVENGERS -
Has joined the fabled $1 billion worldwide box office club! The movie reached this level on its 19th day in theaters. It currently ranks 3rd on the all-time worldwide chart with over $1.5 billion in box office gross. Only the movies "Avatar" with over $2.7 billion and "Titanic" with over $2.1 billion have earned more at the box office.
Now The Facts : -
- The very first "Avengers" consisted of Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Ant-Man and Wasp.
- Who came up with the name for the team? The Wasp named the group "the Avengers" because it sounded "dramatic".
- The Avengers is based on the Marvel comic created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.
- The first “Avengers” comic was published in September 1963.
- Captain America joined the team in Issue #4, after being revived from being trapped in a block of ice.
- The current The Avengers movie brings together Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Captain America (Chris Evans), Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), [Black Widow](movie:1070824) (Scarlett Johansson) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) when they are called to duty by S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson).
- The movie is directed by Joss Whedon, the creator and writer of the "Buffy the Vampire" movie and TV series.
- The Prologue from 1970s The Avengers comic books is, "And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes and heroines found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born—to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Through the years, their roster has prospered, changing many times, but their glory has never been denied! Heed the call, then—for now, [The Avengers](movie:9040) Assemble!"
- This famous battle cry was used during production of the movie by Chris Evans (Captain America) when he wanted his fellow cast members to get together for a night on the town. He sent out the text message “Avengers Assemble!”
- For the movie, an Olympic archer was employed to instruct Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) on how to use a bow and arrow properly. Since Hawkeye is an expert archer, Renner wanted to be sure he learned the correct way to shoot, the challenge was doing really, really fast in the movie battle scenes and still have it look right.
- There have been 86 Avenger characters (this number depends on if you count 'honorary' members or not.)
- There are many Avenger enemies, the top villains are Loki, Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Taskmaster, Grim Reaper and Enchantress.