Did Prince Adam actually ever exist? How is Jackie Chan linked to the movie? Who inspired the role of Belle and which song was cut out from the original release?
You all might think that you know Beauty & The Beast back to front but even the biggest fans may be surprised by some of these mind-blowing facts. Take a look!
1. After Cinderella, Belle is only the second princess not to descend from royal lineage
2. For Belle's and the Beast's final dance, Disney actually reused the same animation sequence as the one between Princess Aurora and Prince Philip in The Sleeping Beauty
Look! It's exactly the same!
3. In her village, Belle was the only person to wear blue! No wonder she stood out so much and wanted to escape "this provincial life."
Later when she meets the Beast, he also wears blue. Misfits unite!
4. The movie was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture but lost to Silence of the Lambs
Although the main prize went to the psychological thriller starring Anthony Hopkins, Beauty & The Beast did actually go on to win two Oscars for its music and for Best Original Song.
5. Julie Andrews was supposed to play the role of Mrs. Potts but it eventually went to Angela Lansbury
You might recognize her from Murder, She Wrote.
6. Belle's character was inspired by Katharine Hepburn's role of Joe March from Little Women
7. In the original script, tiny Chip was only meant to have one line. However, the producers liked the character so much that they gave him more!
He's also the only one out his entourage of tea sets, cutlery and pots and pans to refer to Belle by her actual name.
8. Originally, the Beast was to bring a carcass of a deer back to the castle to tear it to pieces and devour it like a monster. Luckily Disney cut out the scene last minute so we didn't lose all sympathy for him!
Just as well. I'm still suffering the trauma of Mufasa's death and somehow I think having the Beast brutally tear up an animal would have brought on all sorts of traumatizing nightmares...
9. When the movie was released in Chinese-speaking countries, none other than JACKIE CHAN dubbed the Beast's speaking and singing
I love Jackie Chan!
10. The song "Human Again" was cut from the original 1991 release of the movie but was then added to the 2002 re-release and the Broadway musical. Here it is if you missed it:
11. AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST one of the most insane facts is that... the Beast is not actually called Prince Adam!
Yes, I'm shocked too! Apparently, he was never given the official name in the original story and it was actually only first used in the CD ROM spin-off game and Broadway musical. So... technically Prince Adam doesn't actually exist! Sneaky Disney.
If all of the above hasn't already got you guys running home to re-watch the movie, here's the trailer in case you need reminding how awesome it is!
Were you guys surprised by any of the movie facts?
[Image credit: Disney]