Ever since I was a little girl, I have been obsessed with Disney princesses. I love their flowing locks, regal ball gowns and beautiful voices and always admire the epic storylines and the legendary voice actors that bring them to life.
Until recently, I thought that I pretty much knew everything there was to know about these royal babes. Oh, how I was wrong.
Here are some absolutely insane facts about my favorite princesses that you might not have known. Check them out!
1. In 2012 and 2013, the Disney princesses were redesigned
Mulan's new appearance was heavily criticized because it looked like she had had her skin lightened. Many fans thought the same had been also done to Jasmine and Pocahontas. Do you agree?
2. Jasmine's voice actress was nearly fired halfway through the making of the movie
Linda Larkin had to re-audition for the role mid-production because Disney executive Jeffrey Katzenberg thought that her voice did not sound "regal" enough.
3. Cinderella's dress transformation was Walt Disney's favorite piece of animation
I think it may be one of my favorites too.
4. The first American woman in space inspired the floaty effect of Ariel's hair underwater
Producers and illustrators observed the way that Sally Ride's body and hair moved in zero-gravity and applied the same weightless effect to Ariel.
5. Audrey Hepburn and Vivien Leigh inspired Belle
Mark Henn and James Baxter came together to design Belle from Beauty & The Beast and looked to these two actresses for inspiration. They totally did a good job!
6. Cinderella loses a slipper THREE times in the movie
It first happens when she's delivering the breakfast trays, when she's running from the ball and when she's descending the stairs with her new prince. Will she ever learn?
7. Pocahonatas was released on June 23, 1995. This date would have been the four-hundredth birthday of the real-life Pocahontas
The movie is also considered as one of the most difficult Disney movies to produce. It took over five years due to the intricate details and the complex styling techniques. Worth the wait, that's for sure.
8. Snow White is supposed to be 14 years old
She's the first and youngest of all official Disney princesses and also provided the basis for Cinderella and Aurora.
9. The fairies' squabble over what color Aurora's dress should be is based on real-life
Apparently, there was a great dispute in the studios on what color her dress should be... 'pink' or 'blue?' In the end, the producers decided to incorporate the squabble into the movie too!
10. Merida was inspired by British model and fellow red-head Lily Cole
I think they are a pretty good match!
11. Pocahontas is the only princess based on a real person
Mulan's story is based on legend so nobody is completely sure whether she was actually real or not.
12. Merida is the only princess that does not have an American accent
She is also the only princess with brothers. Isn't that weird!? The ONLY one!
13. Numerous celebrities were after the role of Tiana
Tyra Banks and Jennifer Hudson reportedly tried out for the role and Alicia Keys auditioned three times! Beyonce would have also been cast but she refused to audition. Shame on you, B! Thankfully it eventually went to Anika Noni Rose and she did a fantastic job!
Well if all of the above wasn't enough to make you want to re-watch these Disney epics, I don't know what would!
Did you find these facts interesting?
Sources: care2.com; buzzfeed.com