Why do so many "hardcore" Fantastic Four fans say this? Well, I may have the answer to that simple question and the truth is I don't think they exactly know what they're hating on. Seriously, I've come to the conclusion that these fans are only angry because, well, everyone else around them are too.
I'm here to debunk this lame attempt of an excuse. Let us begin!
Pfft, They're More Like The "Fantastic Babies"
I've read this remark all over the internet when the Fantastic Four cast was revealed. All the naysayers say they're too young and the defenders say It's based on the Ultimates. Which is true! The reboot is loosely based on the Ultimates, but has anyone researched how old was the cast from the 2005 Fantastic Four? Hmm, let's see here, shall we.
2005 Fantastic Four vs 2015 Fantastic Four Cast:
- Ioan Gruffudd as Reed Richards was 31 years old. He's 41 years old now. Miles Teller will be playing Reed Richards in the reboot at the age of 27 years old. That makes Gruffudd only 4 years older than Teller. Not much of a big age difference at all.
- Jessica Alba as Sue Storm was 23 years old. She's 33 years old now. Kate Mara will be playing Sue Storm in the reboot at the age of 31 years old. Well, well who's the baby now? Mara is 8 years older than her 2005 counterpart.
- Chris Evans as Johnny Storm was 23 years old. He's now 33 years old. Michael B. Jordan will be playing Johnny Storm in the reboot at the age of 27 years old. It looks like the reboot Storm's are older than their 2005 counterparts. This makes Jordan 4 years older than Evans when he started as Johnny Storm.
- Michael Chiklis as Ben Grimm aka Thing was 41 years old. He's now 51 years old. Does a 41 year old Chiklis make him a senior citizen Thing now? Jamie Bell will be playing Ben Grimm in the reboot at the age of 28 years old. This is the only largest age difference between both movies. Chiklis is 13 years older than Bell when he started.
- Julian McMahon as Doctor Doom was 36 years old. He's 46 years old now. Toby Kebbell will be playing Doctor Doom in the reboot at the age of 32 years. Wow! What a huge age difference... Psych! This only makes McMahon 4 years older than Kebbell when he first started playing Doom.
Verdict: Ya'll Trippin'
Hold up, hold up, hold up! You guys must be playing with me? These are grown men and women in this movie.... Yet, you call them "babies", ok someone must be desperate to make up an excuse like that. Let's see here Miles Teller is 27 years old playing Reed Richards, but Ioan Gruffudd was only 4 years older. Then both Jessica Alba and Chris Evans were much younger than the reboot cast. Yet again I didn't read anything about those two being called too young for their roles. Hypocrisy at its finest. Now from what I can see the oldest is Michael Chiklis, who has 13 years on Jamie Bell. In my eyes Chiklis sounded a bit old for the part because the original had to be at least in his early to mid 30's. Still, nobody said anything about his age. Last but not least Toby Kebbell is only 4 years younger than Julian McMahon.
There's no major age difference, these are adults playing the Fantastic Four, this is a simple case of ignorance and haters. In the famous words of Russell Westbrook- "Ya'll trippin'."
Message for the upset fans-
I want everybody to take a deep breath and slowly exhale. It's alright, trust me. If you truly are a fan of this super family, then just relax, keep an open mind and wait until the movie is out so you can weigh in your thoughts logically. Don't let a movie ruin your day because that comes across as petty. When the movie is out and if you don't like it, guess what! You still have the comics that tell the stories the way you like them :)
Thanks for reading!
Leave your thoughts in the comments section below.