Hello and welcome to episode 2 of the second series of my weekly 'Versus' articles where I try to clear up common arguments on who would win against whom in a fight from the comicbook universes of Marvel and DC. In this week's article I battle the two wayward sons: Red Hood vs. Winter Soldier.
Lets meet the combatants:
Jason Todd. Street kid. Born to a broken family, father a petty thief serving time before running from his son and his mother, a drug addict who overdosed leaving little Jason alone. He made his way by trying to steal car parts of the street, one lucky night he found that Batmobile and did not pass up the opportunity. Batman caught him and after a failed attempt to send him to a special school Batman took Jason under his wing as the second Robin. He is later informed that his mother was not his real mother so tracks down his true maternal parent. He manages to find her in Ethiopia but finds it was a trap by the Joker who goes on to beat Jason senseless with a crowbar then leaves him and his mother with a time bomb. They make a futile attempt to escape and get caught in the explosion when Batman arrives to hold his partner lifeless in his hands. Years later when Superboy-Prime alters the universe Jason is restors to life and breaks out his coffin. He gets hospitalised as his wounds are still there, word gets to Talia al Ghul who uses the Lazarus Pit to restore Jason who goes and returns to Gotham after being trained by the mysterious All Caste:
Powers and Abilities:
- Peak Physical Condition: He is physically superior to most Olympic athletes, just as Batman is.
- Master Martial Artist: Jason Todd is a highly skilled combatant trained by Batman, the League of Assassins and the All Caste.
- Skilled Acrobat: In his training as Robin, he had been taught acrobatics and gymnastics routines.
- Skilled Swordsman: Jason has been shown to be skilled enough to hold his own against the Green Arrow in a sword fight until he ultimately lost.
- Skilled detective: Trained by the worlds greatest
- Multitude of Weapons: Including- Automatic Handgun, Tasers, Grenades/Other Explosives, Batarangs, Electric Wings, Knife
- Caste Blades: From his training with the All Caste he can make spiritual 'Caste Blades' appear
Bucky Barnes. During World War II, he met private Steven Rogers, who had recently become the much loved hero Captain America. He was assigned to accompany Rogers, but had no idea who he really was. One night, Barnes walked Rogers' tent just as he was changing to his costume. Barnes underwent an intensive training program under Captain America's tutelage. When he finished, he received his own costumed identity as Bucky. He often worked along side his new best friend and mentor. He unfortunatley got caught in a plane explosion, seemingly killing Bucky instantly. His remains were never recovered strengthening the belief that he was killed in action. Bucky survived but the explosion had claimed his entire left arm. He had plunged into the icy waters only to undergo the same process his mentor had. A Russian submarine later found him and his body was placed in cryostasis. Bucky was revived and outfitted with a replacement bionic arm, the arm was to be replaced by a newer and more advanced one every time there was an improvement in their technology. While he had no memory of his past, Barnes still had considerable physical skill. He was indoctrinated to hate the West and was provided with mental implants during sensory deprivation, molding him into the perfect assassin.
Powers and Abilities:
- Superhuman Strength: Has some degree of superhuman strength in his bionic arm.
- Enhanced Reaction Time: His arm's reaction time is greater than that of any Olympic athlete who has and will ever compete.
- Sensory Array: The arm houses different sensors which allow him to pass through security such as metal detectors without setting them off. It can also shield other metallic objects from detection such as firearms and knives.
- Extended Reach: He can apparently either control his bionic arm even if it has been removed from his body (possibly by cybernetic implants), or his arm can be programmed to perform certain actions on its own while removed from his body.
- Electrical Discharge: He can discharge bolts of electrical energy from his arm's palm.
- EMP: He can discharge an EMP rendering electronic devices useless. He failed to use it on a prepared Iron Man.
- Master Martial Artist: Barnes is a dangerously skilled martial artist and hand-to-hand combatant. He has single-handedly beaten Crossbones, a squad of SHIELD agents, Wolverine and the Black Widow, defeated a regiment of Hydra agents alongside the Young Avengers, in combat and fought Captain America (Steve Rogers) and Iron Man to a standstill.
- Expert Marksman: He is an extremely accurate marksman. Skilled in sharpshooting and knife throwing.
- Skilled Shield Fighter: Barnes is becoming rapidly proficient with his former partner's shield. He is able to throw it with near perfect aim striking multiple targets in a single throw and achieving a boomerang-like return after throwing it at single person or object.
- Skilled Acrobat: He is an Olympic level athlete and acrobat capable of many difficult acrobatic feats.
- Peak Human Conditioning: Has shown Olympic to possible near peak human level strength, agility, endurance, dexterity, etc.
- Advanced Scout: Barnes is a very gifted scout and adept at stealth and concealment.
- Expert Assassin: Trained by the very best in the Marvel universe he is an absolute master of the silent kill or kills in general
Who I Think Would Win:
This was very difficult. They are very similar and I love them both. But what is Bucky? He's practically the greatest assassin the world has ever seen, he's been the most masterful killer for practically three quarters of a century. He's honed his entire skill set to a precise point and if pointed in the right direction can take out any target he is told to. Yes, Jason was trained by the Bat and ninjas. But Bucky was trained by Cap and Russians. Jason has honed his skills far beyond an average point but no where near Bucky's level. It's almost if you took a human, in abosolute peak physical condition, trained him in everything that could help him kill, remove emotions so he can just focus on the mission. Red Hood I love you but the Winter Soldier would come out on top.
Who Do You Think Would Win?
Next Week: The Ace Archers!!