What do we love? Movies!
What else? Weird, funny and/or interesting facts!
And boy oh boy, did I collect a few gems over the years. I would like to share a few of my favorites with you today. Maybe I do more later, who knows.
Let’s crack on than, shall we?
1. TEENAGE WASTELANDThe show was initially titled that, but was later changed to “The kids are alright”. But here is the thing. Both names where references to songs by The Who. So they couldn’t be used, because of legal issues you know. So a new title was rushed out, and the show later was announced as “Feelin’Alright”. But this didn’t feel good. Know what show I’m talking about yet? Let me give you a big hint. The creators and producers noticed that focus groups would say stuff like “I like that show about the ‘70s” or “I like that ‘70s show”. So it was decided to simply call the series “That ‘70s Show”
2. HANNIBAL VENTURAWhen Jim Carrey was cast for the role of Ace Ventura he was quite nervous, being this was his first movie he would star. So he did what every sane, young actor would do. He called Sir Anthony Hopkins (as you do) and asked him to dinner. Here Jim asked Anthony if he had any acting tips. Hopkins replyed that for his Oscar winning performance in Silence of the Lambs he looked at animals. In particular reptiles and spiders. For example reptiles hardly ever blink, so Lector hardly ever blinks. Jim Carrey took this method of looking at animals with him when he did Ace Ventura. Only instead of looking at reptiles he looked at birds. That explains the hair, bright colored outfits, funny walk and the talking with little head nods as birds do.
3. I WILL MAKE YOU AN OFFER TO READMarlon Brando was notorious for refusing to memorize his lines. That’s why, for the long speeches in the Godfather and Apocalypse Now, other actors had Brando's lines taped to their bodies. Don't believe me? Check this out:
4. DRAW ME LIKE ONE OF YOUR FRENCH GIRLS
The sketch of a very naked Kate Winslet wearing a necklace in the film Titanic was drawn by director James Cameron. In the montage where Dicaprio draws her, those hand on the close up shots are actually Camerons. James is also responsible for the other sketches in Jack’s notebook.
Speaking of hands and directors. Tarantino is the one who (really!) chokes the blond actress Diane Kruger in Inglorious Bastards. Chocking people, drawing famous ladies naked…directors can get away with everything.
Also, moving back to Titanic. The movie Titanic was more expensive…than the build of the actual Titanic. The build cost 7.5 million in 1912, which is between the 120 and 150 million today. The movie cost 200 million to make.
5. Indy! Come here, boy! Good boy, that's a good boy.Indiana Jones, arguably the most badass person in adventure movies and he had a name to match. The story of the name is not that badass though. As Indiana was a big Husky dog owned by George Lucas.
When coming up with the story he just used the name of his dog, although back than it was Indiana Smith and not Jones.
For the sequel Temple of Doom he did it again. The female lead Willy was named after Steven Spielberg’s cocker spaniel and Short Round was the name of Willard Huyk’s dog, who co-wrote the screenplay.
So, that’s all I have for you today. I hoped you all learned something today and had fun doing it. Maybe I do another five later. Don’t look at me like that. Okay, one more. A quick fact, one for the road.
The dog Indiana was also the inspiration for Chewbacca.