Celebrities have a unique platform... those who reach a certain level of popularity in turn become incredibly rich. It's their duty to give back to the communities that need their help and influence. Whether that's the community they grew up in, a hospital or organization that helps the ill, or people who help put together the movies they star in - but DON'T make the mega bucks - it's cool when they reach out a helping hand.
These are 12 examples of celebrities doing amazing things, and not always because of the publicity it would afford them. Check these out, it's really inspiring stuff.
1. Steve Buscemi might be even more bad-ass in real life than he is on 'Boardwalk Empire'... which is saying a lot!
2. Christian Bale visited the victims of the brutal Aurora shooting, partly as himself but also as the hero he played in The Dark Knight films. Batman.
3. Keanu Reeves, legendarily gave no F's about how much money he made off The Matrix, handing over his valuable profit-sharing points to the franchise's special-effects and costume-design team. Those were millions of dollars. He did this because he thought they deserved more for making the movie the epic action flick it was...
4. JK Rowling, before the release of the Harry Potter series’ fourth book, “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire”, wrote the book’s ending a year early for Natalie McDonald, a little girl diagnosed with leukemia. Natalie died before reading JK’s email, so JK named a character after her. She sweetly sorted that character into Gryffindor.
5. Of course, this happened - Moby had a stranger wake up in his Hollywood Hills home, and when that stranger said he was on acid, instead of being a dick, Moby gave him clothes, money for breakfast and a cab, and sent him on his way
6. Justin Timberlake paid a company to measure the carbon impact of his concerts in the cities where he played while on a national tour. He then paid to have trees and bushes planted in those cities to offset his carbon footprint.
7. Johnny Depp may seem crazy and weird, and the characters he plays usually are but he's NICE! On a super rainy day of filming “Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides”, Depp bought jackets for 500 crew members. $64,000 worth of jackets, that is.
8. Ol' Dirty Bastard is actually not that much of a bastard... he's a nice guy. He and a friend witnessed a car accident, organized onlookers to assist him in lifting a car in order to rescue a 4-year-old girl from the wreckage. He visited the girl frequently in the hospital using a fake identity until he was eventually spotted by the media. Also, RIP to ODB.
9. Dan Akroyd and Bill Murray, both amazing guys, suited up as the Ghostbusters one last time to visit a terminally ill child while staying in character. Amazing.