Partnership is a beautiful thing. Partnership in cinema is an even more beautiful things. Here are the relationships that have dazzled us with their partnerships on screen and off screen through the medium of movies.
10. Pedro Almodovar and Antonio Banderas
Notable collaborations: The Skin I live in, Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown, Matador.
Antonio Banderas is one of the few International faces of Spanish cinema. Pedro Almodovar is the brains of Spanish cinema. When the two come together they create brilliant artistic foreign language movies. Spanish ones to be specific. Almodovar's collaborations with Penelope Cruz and Chus Lampreave are also good.
9. Paul Thomas Anderson and Philip Seymour Hoffman
Notable Collaborations: Hard Eight, Boogie Nights, Punch-Drunk-Love, Magnolia and The Master
Last year we kissed goodbye to one of the finest actors of our time, Philip Seymour Hoffman, even more tragically we seen the end of this beautiful partnership which has brought both men equal acclaim.
8.David Cronenberg and Viggo Mortensen
Notable Collaborations: A History of Violence, Eastern Promises, A Dangerous Method.
This one has only happened in the past couple of years. But one of my all time favourite directors with one of my favourite actors they have made three world-class movies together. From playing Sigmund Freud in A Dangeous Method or as as the owner of a small-town diner who is thrust into the spotlight after killing two robbers in self-defense, thus forcing him to confront his violent past in A History of Violence. I hope these two get together again.
7. Federico Fellini and Marcello Mastroianni
Notable Collaborations: La Dolce Vita, 8 1 2, City of Women and Intervista
Perhaps one of the most formidable film-makers who has ever lived. This duo came together and created my favorite movie of all time 8 and a half where Mastroianni plays a famous film director suffering from lack of inspiration and writers block on his science fiction movie. Also La Dolce Vita an astonishing second.
6. Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg
Notable Collaborations: Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The Worlds End
This duo meet in the production of hit British sitcom Spaced. The only comedy pairing on the list. These two have brought us the three flavours of cornetto trilogy. Nick Frost also included in this pair, however Pegg and Wright script these movies with Pegg acting in the main role and Wright taking the directors chair.
Hopefully the three movies are only the beginning of this fruitful partnership.
5. Steve McQueen and Michael Fassbender
Notable Collaborations: Hunger, Shame and 12 Years a Slave
If you havent heard of these two then SHAME on you! See what I did there? By the way this not the Steve McQueen from the great escape.
4. Mike Leigh and Timothy Spall
Notable Collaborations: Secrets and Lies, Topsy Turvy and Mr.Turner
This all British Partnership is a beautiful one spanning over seven movies. The Mike Leigh process of working with actors for months using improv and rehearsel to create a script, makes Timothy Spall's role in the partnership even more crucial and interesting.
3. Richard Linklater and Ethan Hawke
Notable Collaborations : Waking Life, Before Sunrise, Fast Food Nation and Boyhood
From the people who brought you Boyhood and the Before trilogy. This pair most recently collaborated making 'Boyhood' This pair have brought us some of the greatest independent realist movies of the 21st century.
2. Wes Anderson and Bill Murray
Notable Collaborations: Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and The Grand Budapest Hotel
These guys projects couldn't be more different, from an Oceanographer on the search for the Jaguar shark to A badger lawyer, this partnership has provided us with a completely different type of cinematic experience with Andersons quirky and unique style accompanied with Murray's dry personality and character acting.
- Brad Pitt and David Fincher - Fight Club, 7
- Francois Truffaut and Jean Pierre Leaud - 400 blows, Stolen Kisses
- Quentin Tarantino and Harvey Kietel - Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs
- Adam McKay and Will Ferrell - Anchorman, Step Brothers
- Joe Wright and Keira Knightley - Pride and Prejudice and Atonement
- Steven Sodenbergh and Julia Roberts - Erin Brockovich and Oceans 12
- Owen Wilson and Wes Anderson - Royal Tenebaums and Grand Budapest Hotel
- Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio - Gangs of New York, The Departed
- James L. Brooks and Jack Nicholson - As good as it gets, Terms of Endearment
- Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale - Batman Begins, The Prestige
- Quentin Tarantino and Uma Thurman - Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction
1. Dennis Dugan and Adam Sandler
1. Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro
Notable Collaborations: Taxi Driver, Casino, Goodfellas
This one isn't currently ongoing but it's quality not quantity. The fruits of this partnership have lasted the test of time. Recently the 25th anniversary of Goodfellas reminds us how Scorsese and De Niro have given us some of the most entertaining films and performances ever. Scorsese's involvement with DiCaprio have also provided us with great films (more often than not)