Making it in acting is really hard. Even those who now have A-List status and the awards and accolades to validate their talent had to start somewhere. It's not always easy to get gigs when you're starting out, so a lot of actors take parts that don't pay as well as they'd like and at times are a little more low-brow than maybe they would hope.
The idea is that hopefully they will later look back on these jobs and think about how far they've come. That's not always the case, but for these 15 celebrities, we have some hilarious cameos from their early days that any aspiring actor can point to as a kind of example of how they too will become stars. They may work as a plea of sorts to their parents to keep supporting them and that their Hollywood dream may actually come true.
So, without further ado, here are some of today's stars in hilarious early, lesser-known cameo roles.
1. Jason Segel was 'The Watermelon Guy' in '90s teen flick 'Can't Hardly Wait'
2. A young Scarlett Johansson was in "Home Alone 3"
3. Daniel Day-Lewis, one of the best method actors of all time, had a tiny part in “Sunday Bloody Sunday” scratching cars with a broken bottle.
4. Andrew Garfield made it in Hollywood, getting cast as Spider-Man, but here he is in 2008 in 'The Other Boelyn Girl'
5. Jessica Alba played a popular high school snob in 1999's 'Never Been Kissed'
6. Nicolas Cage, before changing his name from Nicolas Coppola, and before taking every role his agent ever proposed to him, was in 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High'
7. Jon Hamm was in Clint Eastwood's 'Space Cowboys' and had one line as Pilot #2 in 2000
8. Hamm's gorgeous 'Mad Men' wife January Jones had a small part in 'Anger Management' in 2003
9. Ben Affleck and Matt Damon were uncredited extras in Fenway Park scene from 1989 flick 'Field of Dreams'
10. Vince Vaughn played a nameless jock football player from Notre Dame in 'Rudy'
11. Natalie Portman played Jack Nicholson's (the president) daughter in 'Mars Attacks!' in 1996 (classic film, btw)
12. Jack Nicholson had a small part in 1960's 'Little Shop of Horrors'
13. Before 'Three's Company', Suzanne Somers was the blonde in the Thunderbird in 'American Graffiti' in 1973
14. Anna Kendrick is huge now, but first she played "Bella's Friend" in 'Twilight'
15. Tom Hardy played Twombly in 'Black Hawk Down' in 2001
(Via: Business Insider)