(Photo by 'Food and Cosplay' http://foodandcosplay.tumblr.com/)
In 2013 I spent the best part of the year trying to create one of my favorite childhood villains, Doc Ock, and I thought I would share it with you guys here!
Start with the tentacles
So the main body of the tentacles are made of up lots of rounded triangular segments. After getting a load of screenshots for reference I scaled up a paper template and from that made a full foam tentacle segment. This segment was then put in a silicone mould from which a rough resin segment was cast.
The rough resin segment was then sanded, filmed and primed before having a mould of it made to use for the final segments.
A few fresh gunfoam segments were taken out of the mould. Next step was to cut off the excess and router out some of the back before adding holes to thread them onto the piping.
The claws were easily put together using EVA foam floor matting and some thinner foam for the main detailing parts. Again I scaled these to the right size for my tentacles first using paper templates so they would be easy to make duplicates of.
All segments and claws painted separately using ordinary spray paint. To get the dull metal effect I used some tissue paper sprayed with some chrome paint and brushed over the bodies of the segments.
Now all 4 plastic tubes (one large 30mm for the center and three 5mm for each corner of the segments) are threaded through the segments, the tentacle body needed to be put on a base and wiring for the LEDs in the claw to be started. For the shape of the body, a hollow aluminum bar was bent into the desired shape and with it being hollow, wires could be threaded through the body and into the chandelier rose at the base (the round silver part attached to the wooden board). The chandelier rose acts like a plug as it comes in two halves so one half attaches to the board and the other half attaches to the pipe with the wires, so when connected, the LED in the claw lights up and the tentacles can be easily detached from the power source without getting tangled up in the wires.
The claws are attached to the segments via swimming pool pipe connectors that screw into place. Wires for the LEDs go through the center and into the claw which now has a hole in the center for the bulb.
The LEDs have a plastic housing to sit in for the eyes of the claws, which are actually a red warning light you can buy at an auto store. The original bulb was taken out so you just have the red plastic housing and the red LEDs that are being used for the tentacles to produce a much brighter light.
All the wires for the chandelier roses were put into the backpack and connected to a 12 volt battery which is rechargeable and attached via heavy duty velcro.
Everything is finished and wired up! Now you get the idea of how it's going to feel when wearing it out. Four large tentacles strapped to your back you can imagine it is not very light, but the look is amazing!
With a couple of coats, a hat, and the iconic glasses, the look is complete! This is my biggest handmade project yet and I am incredibly proud of this.
Let me know what you guys think and if you want to see more of the costume, including a video tutorial of its creation, head on over to my YouTube channel.
For more photos of this and my other projects have a look at my Facebook page!