Daredevil has been one of my favorite characters for as long as I can remember. I used to go to a small local corner store every weekend in hopes that a new issue of Daredevil would be on the small spinning comics rack. So when it came to making a costume for him I always talked myself out of it because I was afraid that I couldn't do him justice.
At Wizard World Ohio I bought a Daredevil print from my friend and crazy talented artist Sean Forney. He encouraged me to make Daredevil and I told him that it scared me. That print would then go to hang in my dining room where I passed it every day. And every day I would think "I should build Daredevil armor" but I'd talk myself out of it. However, one day I passed it on my way to the basement to build some armor for another costume and instead I decided that is start working on Daredevil. If I didn't like it I knew I could just scrap it. This would also be my first attempt at a larger build like this so I wasn’t sure how it would all come together.
The above picture is the start of the chest armor that I came up with. I decided that I liked it and from there I started making more pieces.
All of the pieces are made from EVA foam. I drew the design directly onto the foam and cut them out using a very sharp razor knife. Then used a heat gun to shape the foam.
After all of the foam was cut out and shaped I sealed the foam using Mod Podge. On this armor each piece was coated with 8 coats of Mod Podge and once dry sanded with a very fine grit sand paper.
Next, I coated the sealed pieces in 3 layers of Plasti-Dip. The combination of Mod Podge and Plasti-Dip makes the foam more rigid but also allows for it to flex without cracking the paint.
After Plasti-Dip I use automotive primer. Using this over the Plasti-Dip opens up your options for types of paint that you can use because some paints will not stick to Plasti-Dip. I've also found that using a paint with a built in primer will work as well.
For Daredevil, I tried using an airbrush for the first time. I did the base layer of paint from a spray can but then did the detailing with an airbrush. I was very pleased with the results.
After everything was painted it was time to assemble the armor. I decided to make it like a harness that could be put on over a compression suit. To do this, I used a combination of elastic and nylon straps. Elastic on the parts that may need to flex and nylon for everywhere else. This was a trick I learned from my good buddy Bio Cosplay.
To accomplish this I used a rotary tool to smooth out the foam and then made cuts into the foam where the straps would be attached. I used extra hold Krazy Glue to attach the straps to the foam.
During this whole process I was also talking to my best buddies at Malmey Studios about making a cowl. They agreed to the commission. As always they did not disappoint!
So after assembling everything and getting the cowl it was ready to take to Wizard World Cleveland! I would debt it there and give it the torture test. Pictured below is the completed suit taken by Just Some Nerd.
This would not go without a hitch. In the process the hood I used to cover my neck just didn't work. So I did some research and found out that thin divers hoods would work much better. I ordered one before setting up a photoshoot with an amazing photographer, Good Photographics who responsible for the amazing pictures below. The photo shows the completed suit with the new hood, as well as a quick Matt Murdock costume that I threw together. I can't stress enough what am amazing job Trevor of Good Photographics did on both the photography as well as the beautiful edits.
And that is the story of how I build my Daredevil costume. I hope you liked my first entry here at Moviepilot.com.