On May 2, 1998, a shocking seventeen years ago, was the night of the Battle of Hogwarts. While there were many tragic and painful casualties, one in particular hit harder than most.
May 2 is cause for celebration as it's the anniversary of the downfall of Lord Voldemort, but it's also a period of mourning for the characters that perished in the conflict. In my eyes, the most traumatic and surprising deaths was one half of prank-loving Weasley pair, Fred
This year, even J.K. Rowling acknowledged the anger thrown her way for killing off arguably one of the best characters in the series:
On the off chance you've forgotten the heartbreak and devastation of those left in the wake of his death, here's the scene where the Weasley family congregates around Fred's lifeless body:
So, let's take a look back in honor the 20 short years of Fred Weasley, and all of the ways that he and George were two of the best characters in the Harry Potter books.
1. They were the ones that introduced Harry to the Marauder's Map
Where would Harry and the gang have been without that map?
2. They were always rooting for the best team
Team dragon forever!
3. They actually got Peeves to take orders from them
"Give her hell from us, Peeves."
And Peeves, whom Harry had never seen take an order from a student before, swept his belled hat from his head and sprang to a salute as Fred and George wheeled about to tumultuous applause from the students below and sped out of the open front doors into the glorious sunset.
4. They were insanely in sync
5. And the most eloquent of the Weasley family
“Harry!" said Fred, elbowing Percy out of the way and bowing deeply. "Simply splendid to see you, old boy-"
"Marvelous," said George, pushing Fred aside and seizing Harry's hand in turn. "Absolutely spiffing."
"That's enough, now," said Mrs. Weasley.
"Mum!" said Fred as though he'd only just spotted her and seizing her hand too. "How really corking to see you-”
6. They made entering the Triwizard Tournament a spectacle
Sadly, the only time the two would see each other as old men.
7. They hit Voldemort with snowballs
Even though they didn't know it!
8. They knew how to find happiness, even in the darkest of times
Holy... because he was missing an ear. Comedy gold.
9. They were experts at dancing
Check out those sweet moves!
10. And at wooing women
That Angelina Johnson was one lucky lady.
11. They started their own company right out of school
Gotta appreciate that entrepreneurial spirit of theirs!
12. And proved that you don't need to be book smart to be brilliant in your own right
They deserve so much credit for inventing so many incredible products starting their business so young.
13. In short, they were two of the best characters in the series
From start to finish, these two never had a dull moment.
Miss you, Fred.