Born at the turn of the century, Y2K it was a tremendous year for cinema. I’d like to thank William Eguizabal for this idea. Although the most I’d done in the year 2000 was keep my parents awake late at night, dirtying my diapers, stuff like that. But, well, whatever you say, you can never not feel proud of anything, or anyone you’ve ever been associated with in any way whatsoever doing something great. So some of my favourite films, from the year I was born, in no particular order. Here goes...
• Amores Perros: It’s only fair I begin with this film. Among the best films I’ve ever seen. Not many people know about this beauty by, now Oscar-Famous, Alejandro Gonazalez Inarittu. Isn’t it funny how the person who’s truly inimitable, Quentin Tarantino, has so many versions in different countries... Kashyap in India, Inarittu in Mexico, but in the end, none of them can match him, for all of them have their own style, that at the root, it truly unique and beautiful!
• Memento: This film, is truly an ode to the beauty of indie cinema. Considered to be among the greatest directors working today, Christopher Nolan, is found to be over-rated by many like me. However, when I saw this film, it’s beauty, I knew, Nolan isn’t over-rated, but perhaps lost. I believe he hit his peak just twice during a career which I believe is mainly built on over-rated flicks. But those two points, Memento and Inception pack the punch to give all film-makers a run for their money!
• Requiem for a Dream: A beauty. Two words, that describe this film, but still fall short. This film, is a true masterpiece and truly makes me proud of my year! I could go on and on about this one, but time but move on..
• Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: One of the greatest foreign language films of all time. It’s also the film according to me, which introduced the mainstream world, to the wonders of the magical director, Ang Lee. Unfortunately though, it’s among the movies I saw a long time (like 5-6 years ago) and hardly remember anything about. The only thing I remember is that it was great fun and surely deserves to make the cut for the list!
• Gladiator: A very well made film. Something that stays with you till the end of time. I’ve always had a fascination with ancient Greek and Roman history, this film just fuels it!
I could go on and on and on about the great films, from the year 2000. But I guess it’s time to stop. I hope you enjoyed this list, and I would like to go through a similar list by you too! So please, do take up the CHALLENGE (Flare from behind :P )
Also, Do check out my home blog....