In life, from school and work to family and relatives, there are just some people who are under appreciated for what they do. It may not seem like a big problem, but in the world of cinema, I consider it a great deal.
Hence, I have compiled a list of 20 actors/actresses that are highly underrated or underused or even both for for their talent. And it is in NO PARTICULAR ORDER at all...Well except for the male/female order, ahh but you get the point.
1. Jake Gyllenhaal
- Of course we're going to start off with my favorite actor of all time (yes, really). I believe Jake is criminally underrated. Of course you have seen him in many movies, but many people just don't appreciate the wonderful performance he puts out for us.
- Good movies include: Donnie Darko, The Enemy, Nightcrawler, Brokeback Mountain, and Jarhead.
2. Krysten Ritter
- Aside from guest-starring in a couple of television shows, there has not been much from her. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't even heard of her. Nevertheless, the talent she has displayed is not to be overlooked, she is criminally underused and underrated.
- Good movies/shows include: Gravity, Breaking Bad, Big Eyes, and A.K.A. Jessica Jones.
3. Ryan Gosling
- You've probably seen his pretty face around, maybe in the movie Drive, even though it had nothing to do with freaking driving (that's another story). However, Ryan is an exceptional actor with plenty of potential, but he is underused.
- Good movies include: Drive, Only God Forgives, The Place Beyond the Pines, Remember the Titans, The Notebook, and Blue Valentine.
4. Margot Robbie
- Yeah, she's actually more than her looks. She is a phenomenal actress (and I don't use that word lightly), that's criminally underrated for her PHENOMENAL work.
- Good movies/shows include: The Wolf of Wall Street, Focus, Neighbours (Australia), and upcoming Suicide Squad.
5. Anthony Mackie
- Did you even know him before Captain America: Civil War... Probably not. Regardless, Anthony is a versatile actor that is underrated.
- Good movies include: The Adjustment Bureau, 8 Mile, Notorious, Man on a Ledge, and Brother to Brother.
6. Emily Blunt
- You probably remember her Edge of Tomorrow, but she has been in numerous movies...They just haven't showcased her much. Hence, she is a underrated and underused actress.
- Good movies include: Edge of Tomorrow, The Adjustment Bureau, The Devil Wears Prada, Gulliver's Travels, and Looper.
7. Vincent D'Onfrio
- Huh, what a surprise you might be thinking, or who the heck is he, if you have have not watched Law and Order. Nonetheless, I place Vincent under the criminally underrated category.
- Good movies/shows include: Law and Order: Criminal Intent, DAREDEVIL, The Judge, and Full Metal Jacket.
8. Zoe Saldana
- This might be a surprise for those of you who find her overrated (there are many out there), but I believe, although she is in many movies, she is highly, criminally underrated.
- Good movies include: Avatar, Colombiana, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Star Trek.
9. Wentworth Miller
- My second favorite actor hands down. He is phenomenal and can be versatile when he needs to be. However, he is underrated and underused. This guy has been in the industry for so long, but he is not being utilized at all.
- Good movies/shows: Prison Break, The Loft, The Flash, and Underworld.
10. Famke Janseen
- Who? Remember Jean Grey in X-Men? Yep! If you couldn't recognize her by her name, then that tells you she has been underused and underrated.
- Good movies include: X-Men series, Taken series, GoldenEye, and Deep Rising
11. Chiwetel Ejiofor
- A mouth-full of a name to pronounce, yet his talent, you can say a mouth-full of. He is talented, versatile, and criminally underrated.
- Good movies include: 12 Years a Slave, American Gangster, Dirty Pretty Things, and Inside Man.
12. Rooney Mara
- The sister of another talented actress, Kate Mara, but unlike her sister, Rooney is criminally underrated and underused. She deserves more recognition.
- Good movies include: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Side Effects, Trash, and A Nightmare on Elm Street.
13. Robert Knepper
- Another Prison Break star that is underrated and underrated. Typically, you will find Robert playing complex anti-hero like characters.
- Good movies/shows include: Prison Break, Heroes (S. 4), Cult, and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay.
14. Taraji P. Henson
- Taraj has an extremely versatile acting range. Thus, she is underrated.
- Good movies/shows include: Empire, Person of Interest, No Good Deed, I Can Do Bad All By Myself.
15. Jeremy Renner
- Another Avenger, you say? Yep, I don't care what anyone has to say, Jeremy is just more than Hawkeye. He is a criminally underrated and underused actor.
- Good movies include: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Kill the Messenger, The Town, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, The Town, and The Bourne Legacy.
16. Maggie Gyllenhaal
- Another Gyllenhaal! Yeah, it seem to be a curse or something. However, not only is she criminally underrated like her brother, she is also underused. Come on, name one movie by her other than The Dark Knight.
- Good movies: Donnie Darko, The Dark Knight, Frank, Secretary, and SherryBaby.
17. Ryan Reynolds
- I have so much hope for Ryan, man. I see so much potential, but awful writing has plundered his young career (Green Lanter, X-Men Origins). Hence, he has become an underrated and underused actor.
- Good movies include: Change Up, The Proposal, Safe House, and upcoming movie Deadpool.
18. Kerry Washington
- You've probably never seen her outside of Scandal, which is a shame, but she has been underused in movies like Django (degraded her full-blown).
- Good movies/shows include: Scandal, Ray, The Last King of Scotland, and Fantastic Four.
19. Julian McMahon
- Dr. Doom! Well, we were hoping to see him, but it won't be delivered due to poor writing. Julian is underused and underrated and that needs to change before he gets any older.
- Good movies/shows include: Nip/Tuck, Fantastic Four, Charmed, and Paranoia
20. Tilda Swinton
- Lately she's been making news to play Ancient One in the Doctor Strange movie, which excites even more because her talent is being used for a worthy character.
- Good movies include: Grand Budapest Hotel, Only Lovers Left, Snowpiercer, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.