When we normally read about serial killers, we read about a particular person and their shocking crimes.
We might read about the grotesque Jeffrey Dahmer, who cannibalized his victims or John Wayne Gacy who buried his victims in the crawl space under his house.
Something that is also chilling is the statistics compiled about serial killers, the facts and figures that not only show the severity of their crimes, but also how widespread and common serial killers are.
Take a look at this list of facts you will wish you had never found out!
1. The United States of America Has The Highest Amount Of Serial Killers.
There are 2625 known serial killers that have been active in the US.
The United Kingdom is second with 142, and South Africa in third with 101.
2. Most Serial Killers Are White
White serial killers amount for a huge 52.1%
3. Most Serial Killers Are Men
A landslide majority of 90.8%, with 9.2% being women.
4. The Most Common Motive Is Enjoyment
Scarily, 46.11% kill just because they like it, or for sexual gratification. The second most common is for financial gain at 31.6%
5. The Decade With the Highest Amount of Serial Killers Is the 1980s.
The total was 872 record serial killers in the 1980s, 680 of which were in the US.
6. The Most Common Age to Be Murdered by a Serial Killer Is...
The tender age of just 19.
7. The State With the Highest Amount of Serial Killers
Is California with 1491 recorded serial killers, second is Texas with 794 with Florida in third with 778.
8. The Most Common Method of Killing Is...
By shooting, with 3,543 victims being shot meaning a percentage of 41.74%
1981 victims were strangled which accounts for 23.34% of victims, with 1289 being stabbed, making it the third most popular method of murder by serial killers at 15.19%
9. The Year With the Highest Amount of Serial Killer Victims Is 1987
With a total of at least 355 people falling prey to a serial killer.
10. 2014 Was an Exceptionally Low Year for Victims.
With just nine victims recorded.