Can you believe it's already been a little over 4 years since New Vegas released? I guess time flies when you're scourging the wastelands for those blue starred, Sunset Sarsaparilla caps, getting banned from every single casino, and trying to get that platinum chip back!
Missed the announcement trailer? Watch it here!
Just last week, the official trailer for Fallout 4 was released, showing us a glimpse of the game. From it, we were able to grab that we'd be playing as a vault dweller from Vault 111, in the wastelands of Boston, Massachusetts. Although we were given glimpses at familiar enemies and items, such as the Deathclaws and the Brotherhood of Steel armor, there were several brief instances where we saw something new, such as flying vehicles and airships! (Please tell me we can fly them as a new means of fast travel!) After a week of wondering what other news would be dropped, we finally have some confirmations!
Will the game start before or after the bombing?
Before! We start off the game on October 23, 2077, when the Great War started and ended, and the bombs dropped. We get to roam around our quaint little home, talking to Codsworth (with his usual jokes, of course), and customizing what our perfect American couple looks like! Depending on how we customize the parents, this will also determine the outcome of their baby! And yes, we get to choose between a male or female character!
We also get to see a door salesman that talks about Vault-Tec, as we customize our S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats! (That is, before we shut the door on them.) This looks like the best opening we've seen in a Fallout game. I love that we get to see what the game is like before the bombs drop. This whole experience is going to be incredible, and make me fall in love with the Fallout series all over again.
We can actually build our house!
No more buying pre-designed themes, you can throw that away! We can build our house, essentially from the ground up, and all of the furniture in it. We can build our own settlements, where people will come in and join us.
And we can set up defenses, which is recommended, because "there can and will be raiders." However, none of this is necessary! If you're not into building, it's totally cool. But if you want to? Dude, go for it!
Weapon and armor modifications and layers?
Yes, yes, and yes! There are 50 base weapons to choose from, which we can modify into something completely different and new!
And then there's the power armor, which we saw in the garage of the release trailer, and yes... we can customize that too!
After speculating if it would be playable this year, or the next, it was confirmed that it would be playable on November 10th, 2015! Cue internal screaming! Aaah!
But that's so far away! What do I do for now?!
Easy! Bethesda has our backs with Fallout Shelter, a free to play game on our Apple and Android mobile devices! In it, we get to play as an Overseer in our own vault! How freaking cool is that?!
- Dynamic dialog! We can choose to walk away mid conversation if we wish to, or as Todd Howard suggested... "shoot them in the face if you want."
- There are now layers to our armor, so there's more than just choosing "light" or "heavy" armor!
- We have our own dog, which we can even give commands to!
- Codsworth will vocally say your name! They have recorded around 1,000 of the most popular names for him to say. (Thank you, mom and dad, for naming me Cassie!)
- Even the old enemies act differently. For a brief moment, we watched a rad scorpion burrow under the ground in the distance, only to pop up directly in front of us and scare the heck out of us!
- Although I'm unsure if we can fly, we can at least gun the airships!
- We also have a new Pip-Boy, which even has its own video game tapes you can put in and play, such as a Donkey Kong-esque game.
- Oh, and you can own a real Pip-Boy with the collector's edition. I'll be right back, I need to pre-order this!