As long as there have been comic books, there has been this one debate: Who is the most powerful being? If you made every single hero and villain in a certain universe fight each other, who would come out on top? Today, I'm going to take Marvel comics, and rank my picks for the most powerful beings in the universe. Without further ado, here is the...wait...sorry. Before we begin, I know that some will say "Where's Galactus?"...well, I'm trying to stay away from god-level entities. So, Galactus, the Watcher, and others are not going to be on this list. So, now, without further ado, here is the first on my top 5 countdown:
#5 Black Bolt
Born Blackagar Boltagon, son of Agon and Rynda, two of the Inhuman's greatest geneticists. His power far exceeded most of the citizens of Attilan, and spent the early part of his life in solitude, so that he could learn to control his amazing power. What is that power, you ask? I'll tell you.
- Ambient Particle and Electron Harnessing: basically, he can harness the negative part of an atom, electrons, and use them to a devastating effect.
- Quasi-sonic Scream: This is probably what we all know Black Bolt for. The voice that could destroy worlds. Literally. A mere whisper can cause earthquakes, and level cities. So, he's the epitome of the "Strong, silent type."
- Anti-gravity Flight: Because of his ability to manipulate matter (to an extent), he is able to fly at hypersonic speeds for at least 10 hours, and travel fast enough to exit Earth's atmosphere.
- Telepathy, Matter/Energy Manipulation, Particle/Energy Channeling, Inhuman Strength, Speed, Stamina, Agility.
So, basically, he's one of the most powerful Earth-bound characters known to the Marvel universe. But, Black Bolt has lost to every single person above him (Not that that's a factor, in the grand scheme of things), and, he does not possess the Power Cosmic, like our #4.
#4 Silver Surfer
Offering himself as a Herald to Galactus to save his planet, Norrin Radd became one of the most powerful beings in the Marvel Universe. The Silver Surfer has worked against, with, and for our earthbound heroes. And, contrary to The Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer, his power is not stored in his board. With the Power Cosmic, however, he has the following:
- Energy Absorption and Manipulation: Because of the Power Cosmic, Surfer can master all four elements, and he can discharge and absorb all forms of electromagnetic energy. Surfer can also take energy from living beings, or heal them in reverse fashion. Phasing, time travel, and power absorption of mutants and other powered beings are just a sampling of what he can do.
- Matter Manipulation: Matter has no limits in the hands of the Surfer. He can change the state of matter, and can rearrange matter to be exactly what he needs.
- Superhuman Strength: His skin allows him to withstand the force of black holes, dive into stars, and hyperspace travel. He can travel faster than light, and requires no food or water.
So, he's pretty much a god. I mean, the dude has like every power imaginable. However, he's not immune to symbiotes like Carnage, and there are more powerful beings, like the next three on our list. So, Silver Surfer is really a very cool character with a lot of amazing powers, but, he's just not the toughest there is.
The Mad Titan, The Overlord, Chins...call him what you want, Thanos is one of the most dangerous, powerful beings in the universe, before we even get to the Infinity Gauntlet. He has given even the toughest of beings a tough fight (the dude beat Galactus once).
- Superhuman Strength, Stamina, etc.: Thanos has been able to fight Thor, Hulk, Silver Surfer, and Ronan with ease, and because of his status as an Eternal, he rarely fatigues, and is immune to all disease and aging.
- Intelligence, Telepathy, Magic: Thanos' greatest weapon is his mind, so it has been said. He is a master strategist, and has limited telepathy, and magical power. Ever wonder why Deadpool can't die? Thanos pretty much cursed him. But that's a complicated story involving Death.
- Other Powers: Teleportation, advanced weaponry, flying, and other abilities belong to the Mad Titan.
- The Infinity Gauntlet: I'm not going to go into great historical detail on the Gauntlet, but, let's just say that Thanos became the most powerful being in the universe (even surpassing Celestials). He was quite literally omnipotent.
As powerful as he is, Thanos has been defeated. An extremely powerful bender of reality could defeat him. Yes, I'm looking at you, Scarlet Witch. And, take away the Gauntlet, and what is he? Just a powerful, over-chinned purple dude. Easily defeated by our next two.
#2 Thor Odinson
The god of thunder, the son of the All-Father, Thor is one of the most powerful beings to walk the dirt of Midgard. Odin once spoke of Thor, saying, "I seek an heir whose powers surpass Asgard." And surpass Asgard he does. He can survive blasts from the Celestials, and has tangled with the Silver Surfer, Sentry, and others. And won.
- Extreme Superhuman Strength, Longevity, etc.: Being both an Asgardian and an Elder god, Thor possess extreme physical attributes. He can lift at least a million tons, has snapped adamantium with a flex of his muscles, and he's resisted the gravity of a neutron star. He is immune to alcohol (a key trait in the life of an Asgardian), and can withstand blasts from the Destroyer. Quicksilver is no match for his speed, and Mjolnir can fly at several times the speed of light. And while he is not invulnerable, he can heal rapidly.
- Flight: Thor can fly both with and without the hammer.
- Earth Control: Think Earthbender on steroids. Due to his Elder god lineage (through his mom), he can control earth, and create massive earthquakes.
- Dimension Transcendence: Thor has been known to move through dimensions.
Energy Manipulation: Yes, he can call down rain and lightening...without Mjolnir. While the hammer grants him ridiculous amounts of power (which would take too much time to list), Thor can fire energy blasts and lightening just by himself.
- Superhuman intelligence: Besides the ability to speak in every tongue there is, Thor also possesses an IQ that would rival even someone like Tony Stark. He is a skilled tactician, diplomat, and even has an understanding of magic.
Beyond all this, Thor is nearly limitless in his power. Adam Warlock has stated that Thor is one of the strongest beings to ever live. And, like I said, his hammer grants dozens of powers, like teleportation, undead leathality, and the God-Blast. However, much of Thor's power lies in his hammer, and, as we have recently seen, Thor is not always worthy. As I said earlier, he's also not invincible. He can be beaten. Not by many, but...there is at least one who can stop the Hammer god.
#1 The Hulk
If you know this picture, then you know where I'm going. Yes, I did just rate Dr. Bruce Banner as the strongest being in the Marvel Universe. Why? Because of that picture. But, let's start with his powers:
- Limitless Strength: The Hulk literally can't stop getting stronger and stronger. I'll come back to that in a second, but...here're a few things that the Hulk has done: knocked Fing Fang Foom to the moon, knocked out the Silver Surfer with three punches, stopped Juggernaut, overpowered a machine built to withstand the Cosmic Cube, matched a Celestial in strength. The Hulk grows stronger the more energy he absorbs. So, the more he fights, the stronger he gets. He eventually reaches a point where he can destroy cities with a single step (Worldbreaker Hulk). His leaps have launched him into low orbit, and he can expel air at a high enough rate to knock down forests. His stamina also grows as he gets stronger, so it is nigh unlimited.
- Near Invulnerability: The Hulk's skin is so strong that only adamantium and vibranium can pierce his skin. He withstood direct blasts from Galactus, the strongest of Hercules' blows, and heats of one million degrees Fahrenheit. His healing power allows him to withstand all diseases, and he can heal nearly instantly from most attacks.
- Super Speed: Though he is a giant, Hulk can run and swim much faster than any human. He's matched Namor in the water (at least 80 knots) and has hit both Quicksilver and Silver Surfer while they are at speed.
- Psionic Resistance: The Hulk's mind is as strong as his body. He has withstood the most powerful psychic forces in the universe, including Prof. X, Dr. Strange, and Thanos.
- Gamma Energy Manipulation and Projection: The Hulk is something of a "gamma battery" and can fire off blasts of the radiation with devastating effect. As Worldbreaker Hulk, his body was so powerful that the radiation just fired out of him without control.
So, unlimited power...can that be topped? No. Thor, and Thanos have both admitted that Hulk is the strongest there is. Thanos even avoided direct conflict with the Hulk because of that. Though the Hulk can over-exert himself, or be pierced by adamantium, he heals. The wonderful, beautiful thing for everyone else in the universe is that Banner can control how strong he gets...most of the time. Either way, Hulk can beat the snot out of anyone who comes up against him.
Now, I know that there were several other heroes that could have made the list (Sentry, Scarlet Witch, Hercules, etc.), but, these five have shown that they are extremely powerful, and extremely dangerous (I mean, Thanos destroyed half the universe...). Do you agree with me? No? Well, let me know in the comments. Oh, and, if you liked this one, you might want to expect a DC edition in the future.
Edit: I've noticed many of you asking why I included Thor, but said that I wouldn't do God-like beings. When I said that, I meant beings on a level with Galactus, the Watcher, the One-Above-All, and the Celestials. You just can't compare anyone to these beings, they're too powerful. Thor, while he is called a god, isn't on a level with those previously mentioned beings. He's an Asgardian, so he kinda is on a level with everyone on the list.