Warning: Potential unconfirmed spoilers of Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One below!
Interesting details have emerged for Gareth Edwards' upcoming Star Wars anthology movie, Rogue One. Previously, we've only heard casting news as well as some rather basic and broad descriptions for the Episode IV prequel, but now we've got some more meaty details to add to the barebones.
We have previously heard Rogue One being referred to as a 'heist movie' in which a band of rebels steal the plans for the original Death Star - therefore putting into motion the sequence of events in the original trilogy. However, the details obtained by JoBlo actually suggest it might be more akin to an 'old school war film.' Check out the details of their scoop below:
- Definitely set during the "Dark Time" of the Empire (between Episodes III and IV)
- Being coined as "darker and grittier" than any other Star Wars film to date
- The film seems to be aiming to be much like an old school war film; Think Hamburger Hill meets Star Wars
- All the Jedi are said to be in hiding; expect this story to leave them in the background
- Stormtroopers have same armor as they do in the original films (i.e. episodes IV - VI)
- Lots of alien life forms, Mon Calamari among them
- New droids and aliens will be introduced. Kind of a no-brainer, but just so you know it's not just a bunch of rebels
- At-Ats, X-Wings, Y-wings, At-Sts are said to be present
- Implied that some of the film will take place on Yavin-4; a lot of armies in the jungle and various battlefield locations
- Looks like a new droid will be part of the band of rebels attempting to steal the Death Star plans
- Felicity Jones is seen dressed as a rebel soldier ready for battle; expect her to get her hands dirty in this one
Of course, we should specify that this is, as of yet, unconfirmed by official channels, although I can imagine that will not prevent some fans from getting excited.
It does seem these anthology movies will allow some talented filmmakers to take the Star Wars franchise to some more varied places than those usually allowed in the main franchise. For example, Edwards has also stated we can expect Rogue One to be a darker take on the Star Wars universe, adding it wouldn't necessarily be a the usual fight between good and evil. Personally, I can only see this as being a good thing.
Star Wars: Rogue One currently stars Felicity Jones, Ben Mendelsohn, Diego Luna, Sam Clafin, and Riz Ahmed. It is due to arrive in theaters on December 16, 2016.