Bollywood, like India, is diverse. Good movies, Bad movies, Arthouse, Mass entertainers, Action, Romance, Drama.....all kind of movies are made, watched and liked in Bollywood. It is often said, Bollywod idolizes looks more than acting talent, which seems true many times. But, apart from beauty, what Bollywood is abundant of is...terrific acting prowess. Time and again many actors have shown us what they can do...provided a good platform. This list comprises of seven, most promising, contemporary actors who, we can safely say are the best in business.
7.Priyanka Chopra - One star in bollywood who perfectly balances acting and fame. PC may not be known for her selection of movies but whatever role she takes, she does justice to it. Debuted with forgettable Andaz but PC showed her intentions in Aitraaz and stole limelight fron both Akshay and Kareena in it. Won National award for Fashion. If you have seen the little known movie Barsaat starring Bobby Deol, PC and Bipasha Basu, you will know she can hold her own even in a super bad movie. She was terrific in Kaminey, Saat khoon maaf and the recently released Dil Dhadakne Do. Her films haven't seen much success in recent times, but she hasen't lost her popularity nor her hunger for good acting.
6. Deepak Dobriyal - Now many might not know his name, so many could disagree with it. But if you see his performance, you would agree certainly. Rajju in Omkara and Pappi ji in Tanu weds Manu are his most famous roles. His other notable performances are in movies like Delhi 6, Maqbool, Dabang 2, The Blue Umbrella and Gulaal. He has shown that he can do serious roles as good as comic roles. This is one underrated and underutilised actor. But we hope he gets his dues in the times to come.
5. Nawazuddin Siddiqui - "Bhai ka Baap ka Dada ka...sab ka badla lega tera Faizal". In a movie which has Manoj Vajpayee at his best, Nawazuddin stole limelight. Gangs of Wasseypur was like a debut movie for him and he created a storm with it. Suddenly he was everywhere. Nawazuddin has become a fabourite with both commercial and niche cinema lovers. He followed up GOW with a villanious turn in Kick. The Lunchbox gave us an opportunity to see Irrfan Khan and Nawazuddin Siddiqui together. His cinematic journey began long time back when he did small bits in movies like Sarfarosh and Shool. Today he is one of the most sought after actors. Watch Miss Lovely for another of his fine performances and wait for Bajrangi Bhaijaan where he teams up with Salman Khan once again.
4. Shahid Kapoor - Now who doesn't like Shahid Kapoor. Lets not talk about his initial movies Ishq Vishq, Fida etc. But we will talk about the Shahid we came to know with Jab we met. Everyone loved Kareena in Jab we met but we forget Shahid who gave a superb and uncharacteristic performance in it. But the movie that truly made him what he is today was Vishal Bharadwaj's Kaminey. His double role of twins in the movie was appreciated by all. Nobody knew he could play such dark characters with such finesse. Shahid repeated his terrific performance in another Vishal Bharadwaj movie, 2014's Haider where he played titular character, based on Shakespear's Hamlet. He is one actor who has got everything, looks, dancing, acting.
3. Kangana Ranaut - Current favourite of the nation Kangana Ranaut has always been known for her acting abilities right from her first movie. She gives a brilliant perfromance every now and then. But right now she is on a terrific and enviable streak of success. Fashion, Queen, Revolver Rani, Krish 3, Tanu weds Manu, Tanu weds Manu 2, she has charmed us with her acting everytime. Her recent success with Tanu weds Manu 2 has made her a favourite of one and all. Her succes lies in her versatility. Being from a small town, her experiences from life complement her dedication to her roles. We lool forward for many great performances from her.
2. Irrfan Khan - There is one actor who is doing everything and can be seen everywhere. Television, Bollywood, Hollywood he has done everything. We loved him in Chandrakanta. We loved him in Haasil. We loved him in Paan Singh Tomar. We loved him in each and every role. This guy is yet to give a bad performance in the same way as Christopher Nolan is yet to make a bad movie. And the chances of both are pretty slim. He does a Piku and a Juraasic World with equal ease. Talk about versatility.
And the top spot goes to............
1. Manoj Vajpayee - If there is one actor who is underrated and underutilised even after a string of simply awesome performances,its Manoj Vajpayee. He started his career with Shekha Kapoor's The Bandit Queen. Stardom came to him with Satya which propelled him to fame and created a huge fanbase. He gave some fabulous performances in Ram Gopal Verma movies like Kaun, Shool and Road. He was specially praised for his villanious act in Rakesh Omprakas Mehra's Aks where he shared screen with Amitabh Bachchan. His 10 minute role in Veer Zaara packed more punch than any other actor in the movie. He was neglected for some time but made a terrific comeback with Prakash Jha's Raajneeti where he shadowed a string of top actors with his brilliant performance. He followed up it with an equally brilliant turn as Sardar Khan in Gangs of Wasseypur. Some of his overlooked but fine performances can be seen in Pinjar,1971,Satyagrah, Special 26. We hope he attains the greatness he is meant to.
Tell us what you think of the list and also what would you like to see in future.