For as long as I can remember, there has always been the debate over who would win in a fight between Superman and Wonder Woman. Both sides hold valid arguments, and it's a difficult fight to determine a winner, but nevertheless I thought I would take an alternate spin on the debate and look at who could possibly defeat Wonder Woman specifically, seeing as she is a fighter who doesn't think the word surrender a viable option in any fight.
Let's start by looking taking a gander at what makes Wonder Woman so formidable of an opponent.
The warrior princess from the legendary Amazonian women of Greek Mythology. Throughout her time in the comics, she has been depicted with a wide variety of personalities and character tone: from naive and innocent to a fierce warrior, from the ultimate tactician to a compassionate ambassador. Yet the one characteristic that always remains no matter the timeline, story arc or universe was her ability to give love without discrimination and her high aptitude for compassion in any situation. This can be both a blessing and a curse in terms of her ability to win a battle against a formidable opponent.
Wonder Woman has a vast array of abilities that she uses in her favor to be considered one of the strongest women in the DC Universe. In the Post-Crisis universe, Diana Prince a.k.a. Wonder Woman is endowed with her powers through interactions with the Greek Pantheon, the Deities of Old: Demeter, Hermes, Artemis, Athena, Hestia and Aphrodite specifically.
- From Demeter: Strength drawn directly from the earth spirit Gaea, making her physically resilient and able to expel poisons and heal her own wounds.
- From Hermes: Superhuman speed and flight capabilities, also giving her superhuman reflexes to deflect projectiles with her bracelets.
- From Artemis: Eyes of the Hunter, giving her enhanced senses including multi-range vision and super-hearing.
- From Athena: Improved wisdom, mastery of languages and military prowess giving her tactical strategy and knowledge of various combat techniques.
- From Hestia: Control over the 'fire of truth' depicted in her lasso, also granting immunity to natural and supernatural fire.
- From Aphrodite: Stunning beauty and an incredibly kind heart.
All in all, she's a fairly well-rounded warrior. She isn't completely invulnerable as edged weapons and projectiles can pierce her skin, but she does have a high tolerance for extreme heat and concussive force. Being born of a deity has also endowed her the ability to resist magic manipulation as well as project herself into various mythical realms. Often seen as a master athlete, acrobat, strategist and fighter, Diana is a force to be reckoned with.
So who can take down this mythological phenomenon?
I believe that there are 4 women in both Marvel and DC, capable of rendering Wonder Woman into unconsciousness or even submission. The first being from the DC Universe - Supergirl.
Now before we get into the debate about Superman versus Wonder Woman, let me put this out there: Supergirl, Kara Zor-El, is a different breed when it comes to the realm of control. Superman has spent years of his life on Earth controlling and limiting his own powers albeit subconsciously, the fact remains that Kara has all of Superman's abilities, without the lifetime of restraint holding her back from unleashing her true power.
- Solar Energy Absorption: Main channel as to how Supergirl maintains her abilities.
- Heat Vision: Intense beam that can be focused down to the microscopic level that contains the temperature around that of a nuclear explosion.
- Enhanced Senses: Super hearing which can focus on a specific source and enhanced vision that can process various spectrums and energy ranges.
- Flight: Can defy the forces of gravity allowing for hovering, flying backwards and even using her superhuman strength while flying.
- Invulnerability: Outside of Kryptonite, Supergirl's body is nearly impossible to penetrate.
- Superhuman Stamina: Ability to continuously maintain strenuous activity for an extended period of time.
- Superhuman Strength: Part conscious act of will, part energy absorption from the rays of the yellow sun. Supergirl can lift 100,000 tons or more.
- Superhuman Speed, Agility & Reflexes: Through sheer will, Supergirl can react and move on a level that rivals other comic speedsters.
- Arctic Breath: Hurricane force winds that can freeze targets by expelling air rapidly.
Supergirl tends to be brash and quick to action, as we've seen her rush into situations time and time again, no matter the incarnation that we see. The current version of Kara Zor-El, has her crashing straight through Smallville and coming out on the other side of the world in Siberia. Her stasis was different from Superman in the sense that she believed to have only been in her pod for a single day when it reality it was several years.
Although Wonder Woman has a slight edge in terms of combat ability and an arsenal of weapons-based powers. That's really about where the line is drawn between the Amazonian Princess and the Kryptonian Heroine.
Kara outmatches Diana in a couple key areas in my opinion.
Now don't get me wrong, this is an incredibly close match between their aptitude for quick thinking and overall intelligence, but I believe that Kara has the higher intellect. Without regard to the apparent age difference, Kara had the benefit of growing up, albeit for less than 20 years, on Krypton. As Lex Luthor puts it:
[Krypton is] one of the most advanced civilizations in the universe.
That upbringing has to count for something, and ultimately it would benefit Kara as she fights Wonder Woman, the master tactician that she is. Kara's intellect and ingenuity would serve her well
The battle between the two would ultimately be a lengthy one, with punches thrown with near equal strength but after enough time has passed and both have shared in the receiving end of the pummeling, Supergirl would outlast Wonder Woman and claim her victory. Going hand in hand with stamina and her overall longevity in battle is Kara's overall invulnerability. Whether it is based on a super dense molecular structure, or a bio-electric aura makes little difference because either way the Kryptonian body is much more durable than that of the Amazonian warrior which would benefit Kara in the long term.
Supergirl has an advantage where few other heroes have, she is relentless to the point of being reckless at times. Her powers are immense to the point of matching and even exceeding Superman's. He even admits it by saying the following:
"She appears stronger because I have spent a lifetime subconsciously suppressing my powers to avoid harming others while Kara, without such experience, recklessly uses her powers to the fullest."
Her reckless abandon when it comes to a fight with Wonder Woman would be necessary because there is a slim chance of winning without that relentlessness and the force behind it.
--- --- --- --- ---
The second femme fatale who I believe could defeat Wonder Woman is from the Marvel Universe - Captain Marvel.
Carol Danvers is her alter ego, and she is one badass hero in my book. Originally introduced as an Air Force pilot who just wanted to serve her country. She is introduced as a chief security officer to a highly classified military base that comes under attack and she is rescued by the original Kree hero, Mar-Vell. During an explosion on the base, Danvers is exposed to released energy which ultimately merges her DNA with that of Mar-Vell turning her into a perfect Kree-Human hybrid gaining atypical powers (strength, endurance, flight, etc.) beyond her understanding at times, as well as a couple key powers that will assist her in her battle with Wonder Woman.
- Energy Absorption: Captain Marvel has the ability to absorb and control various energies including: heat, electromagnetics, gravity and stellar light.
- Strength Augmentation: Through her energy absorption, she can magnify her own strength depending on the energy she absorbs.
- Speed Augmentation: Similar to strength, Captain Marvel can increase her speed through the energy forces she absorbs, up to reaching light speed.
- Durability Augmentation: Once again, through her power over energies, she can modify her own durability.
- Photon Blasts & Light Emission: Concussive blasts emitted from her hands and fingertips, can be concentrated and augmented as well.
- Flash Precognition: A sixth sense of sorts, which allows her to anticipate subconsciously the movements of her enemies.
Captain Marvel is a dedicated hero- brave and strong willed as well as strong skilled. Opposed to the tactics of brute relentless force that Supergirl would utilize, Captain Marvel would compete with Wonder Woman on a more balanced playing field as they both are well trained combatants and have similar strengths and even weaknesses. But ultimately one facet of Captain Marvel's heroic powers would bring her to victory, and that is her ability to augment her own powers through stellar absorption.
Through her energy manipulation and absorption, Captain Marvel can increase her own strength which would be paramount to her victory over Wonder Woman, because in normal circumstances Wonder Woman would hold the advantage in sheer brute force. By augmenting her strength she can match the force blow for blow with the Amazonian Warrior, even besting her in physical combat.
Once again, Wonder Woman 'technically' holds the edge in durability and stamina, but once augmented by her energy absorption Captain Marvel can outlast anyone. Along with her ability to focus a photon blast would be enough to cause physical damage to the hardened Amazonian Princess.
This is a multi-faceted advantage for Captain Marvel because it's what gives her the ability to modify and augment several of her other physical traits. Her energy manipulation also gives her an advantage in her ability to interact with the various spectrums of energy including heat, eletromagnetics & all forms of stellar energy and using those in battle.
Eventually through their battle, it would come to pass that Wonder Woman would eventually fall to submission as Captain Marvel would best her and even outlast her due to her several key traits.
--- --- --- --- ---
The third heroine who could fight Wonder Woman on equal ground and ultimately defeat her is in the Marvel Universe - Gamora.
Now, up until now, you may have been right there with me. But you may be thinking to yourself how in the world could Gamora defeat Wonder Woman. Well, let me break it down for you. Gamora is an incredible skilled fighter, to the point that she is considered
The most dangerous woman in the universe.
Spending a majority of her life as the adopted daughter of the Mad Titan Thanos, she underwent treatments and cybernetic enhancements which gave her augmented strength, agility, speed and durability. Much of her deadliness comes from the weapons she used which we already know edges weapons can pierce Wonder Woman's skin making Gamora a deadly adversary indeed. Her weapon of choice is a dagger, The Godslayer, that has the ability to slay even the Mad Titan himself.
- Enhanced Physiology: Cybernetically and experimentally enhanced muscles cause Gamora to have enhanced strength, speed, stamina, reflexes and durability.
- Regenerative Healing: Gamora can heal even the gravest of injuries in mere moments.
- Weaponry: Gamora posses the Infinity Cloak which allows her to pull various weapons from within it.
Stealth & Assassination: Trained in all the deadliest arts, along with her enhanced physiology make her a deadly killer.
- Combat Ability: Gamora is the most skilled martial artist in the universe and has learned several killing and paralyzing strikes.
Gamora is the antihero that nobody wants to cross. She's a trained killer, and doesn't have issue doing whatever is necessary in the pursuit of her cause. She is generally fighting for what is good, but has strayed from the path due to her adoptive father as well as her training in general to be a master killer. Gamora has a couple of key qualities which will help her take down Wonder Woman.
Gamora is the most well trained, and experienced warrior in the known universe. She is a capable fighter, and even though Wonder Woman has the advantage of God-like strength, Gamora can overtake her by focusing on her martial arts skills and hand-to-hand combat training. Easily besting Wonder Woman in combat is the first step in Gamora's battle against the Amazonian.
She has the ability to retrieve various weapons: projectile and blade from within her Infinity Cloak which are a weakness to Wonder Woman. Edged weapons can piece Amazonian skin, and after you combine that with Gamora's natural reflexes, agility and assassination skills and she could easily bring Wonder Woman to her knees in agony.
Both fighters have a strong healing ability, but where Gamora wins is in her ability to heal from injuries that would be fatal to other heroes. Her combination of stealth and speed would allow her the advantage to evade Wonder Woman's attacks while her body recovers and she can continue her onslaught against the Amazonian Warrior (whereas her body cannot cover as quickly nor from as grave of an injury.)
Given enough time, Gamora would succeed in bringing Diana to her knees by her overwhelming mastery of weapons and her natural fighting skills.
--- --- --- --- ---
The final warrior that could best Wonder Woman, again could cause you to question my sanity, but bear with me as I introduce you to another Marvel Universe resident - Psylocke.
Now, if you don't know who Psylocke is, shame on you, but it means you probably don't follow the mutant stories of the X-Men very regularly. Psylocke is considered an Omega Level Mutant that rivals the likes of Professor X and Pheonix/Jean Grey in raw power. You may even say, but wait Wonder Woman has a strong resistance to magic and mental manipulation, but Psylocke's powers are far greater than just basic telepathy and mind manipulation.
- Telekinetic Weaponry: Psylocke can construct various bladed weapons compused purely of her own psychic energies that can damage physically and even mentally.
- Physical Augmentation: Using her own telekinesis, she can enhance her speed, agilty, strength and fighting abilities to a super-human level.
- Psionic Manipulation: Psylocke has the ability to create force fields to decelerate or even deflect on coming attacks as well as create bolts of psionic energy that can affect her opponents mental state.
- Combat Skills: As a trained assassin and master martial artist she is skilled at various forms of combat.
- Stealth & Assassination: Her telekinetic abilities assist her in stealth as she can cloak herself and even project herself astrally to get a better understanding of what she is facing in an opponent.
Psylocke is a unique fighter in terms of raw power and abilities when it comes to the others on this list. A majority of her ability comes from her raw telepathic and telekinetic power. Yet, we cannot forget that she has been trained as a master assassin and martial artist which truly makes her a deadly adversary. Her key to winning would rest on these few key traits.
Hear me out on this, even though Wonder Woman has a resistance to mental manipulation, Psylocke's psionic abilities are a different breed altogether. She wouldn't rely on mental control as much as she would use her abilities to inflict mental damage to the Amazonian, to the point of causing her to falter in step as she battles unconsciousness.
This is different from every other hero who uses weaponry, because Psylocke creates the blades and projectiles (arrows) out of her own psyche and can form their edges to the level of precision based on her own focus and will. Along with her telekinetic weaponry she has the ability to generate a forcefield that can soften Wonder Woman's blows and put them on a closer physical brutality scale.
Using her psionic ability, she can mask her presence from Wonder Woman's enhanced sight to an extent giving her an advantage. Effectively shadowing herself when used with her ability to create illusions. Her astral projection also comes into play when she is fighting with Wonder Woman as it would be a huge advantage to be able to witness the battle field without physically being subjected to attacks from Wonder Woman.
So there you have it. Ultimately Wonder Woman is a fighter with few equals, but given the right circumstances and the unique abilities used in the most suitable fashion, these four women could bring down the Amazonian warrior.
There would be countless wounded bystanders because of the sheer force that each of these four battles would inflict, and there would be an unprecedented amount of damage to the Earth and everything on it, but Wonder Woman would eventually fall.