Martin Scorsese was born on November 17, 1942 in Queens, New York. Boasting a career that has spanned over five decades, he has also established himself as one of the most influential and creative filmmakers of all time.
To pay homage to one of my favorite directors I have decided to make a quiz about him and his work. So, please enjoy and don't forget to let me know what was your score in the comment section below:
1. How many entries does Martin Scorsese have on the IMDB Top 250 list?
The correct answer is 6 movies. Scorsese's entries on the IMDB Top 250 list are Goodfellas (1990), Taxi Driver (1976), The Departed (2006), Raging Bull (1980), Casino (1995) and The Wolf of Wall Street (2013). Although impressive, this is pale compared to the IMDB Top 250 list leader Alfred Hitchcock, who has eleven entries.
2. Which famous actress auditioned for the role of Vikki La Motta in Raging Bull (1980)?
The correct answer is Sharon Stone. She auditioned for the part of Vikki but she was not successful. However, she did get to play Robert De Niro’s wife 15 years later in Casino (1995).
3. The Departed (2006) is a remake of which Hong Kong film?
The correct answer is Internal Affairs (2002). It is Scorsese’s second remake after Cape Fear (1991). He did not realize it was a remake until he agreed to direct it and he chose not to watch the movie until he had finished directing The Departed (2006).
4. What is Scorsese's highest grossing film to date?
The correct answer is The Wolf of Wall Street (2013). The movie has grossed more than $392 million worldwide, eclipsing Shutter Island (2010), which has grossed about $295 million in total.
5. Which actor has appeared in The Godfather (1972), Goodfellas (1990) and The Sopranos (1999-2007)?
The correct answer is Tony Lip. All of the aforementioned actors (plus Michael Imperioli) have appeared in both Goodfellas (1990) and The Sopranos (1999- 2007). However, the only actor confirmed to have appeared in the holy trinity of Mafia pop culture—the original The Godfather (1972), Goodfellas (1990) and The Sopranos (1999-2007) is Tony Lip, best known for his portrayal of New York crime boss Carmine Lupertazzi on The Sopranos.
Before winning an Academy Award for The Departed (2006), how many Oscar nominations did Martin Scorsese have without actually winning?
The correct answer is 7 Academy Award nominations - Best Director for Raging Bull (1980), The Last Temptation of Christ (1988), Goodfellas (1990), Gangs of New York (2002) and The Aviator (2014) and for Best Writing for Goodfellas (1990) and Age of Innocence (1993). Since winning, Scorsese has accumulated 4 more Oscar nominations for his work on Hugo (2011) and The Wolf of Wall Street (2013).
7. As of 2015, which is the last Martin Scorsese movie that is shot entirely on actual film? (35mm)?
The correct answer is Shutter Island (2010).
8. To prepare for his Oscar nominated performance as Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York (2002), Daniel Day-Lewis listened every day the music of which famous rapper?
The correct answer is Eminem. In an interview with Rolling Stone, Day-Lewis revealed that Eminem's music played an important part in his preparation for the role.
9. Which Scorsese movie marked legendary actor Gregory Peck's final appearance in a theatrical film release?
The correct answer is Cape Fear (1991). Peck, Robert Mitchum and Martin Balsam all starred in the original Cape Fear (1962) and also had roles in the remake.
10. Mean Streets (1973) is considered to be one of the quintessential New York films. However, how many days of shooting were actually held in the Big Apple?
The correct answer is 6 days. Overall, filming took 27 days , of which six were in New York and the rest in Los Angeles, as it was too expensive to do the full shoot in New York.