Alright, let's start out with a quick list of things we know about [American Horror Story](tag:206668): Hotel...
- It takes place in Los Angeles, CA
- There will not be any musical numbers; Lady Gaga's role is 100% acting
- It's inspired by dark events that've occurred at multiple hotels in L.A.
- Jessica Lange will not return as a series regular
Yes, J-Lange is officially "done" with AHS as of this season, but she may still be interested in appearing in a few episodes as a small guest star. It's definitely going to feel strange not having her as a strong lead actress, but with its anthology format, the show can survive if they nail it this season. I personally think Hotel has a lot of potential, but if it gets negative responses, I guarantee a majority of critics will be quick to blame Lady Gaga for "ruining the show" or "failing to replace Jessica Lange". Unless Gaga has her thumb in front of the camera lens 90% of the season, please don't try to tell me she ruined American Horror Story.
With that being said, let's take a look at the rest of the confirmed cast (as of 6/10/2015). Remember, this isn't necessarily the full cast list; I'm sure there will be additions before the fifth season premiere.
- Kathy Bates will be "running the hotel"
- Finn Wittrock and Matt Bomer may be in a love triangle with Lady Gaga
- Murphy told fans that Evan Peters will be "in room 64" (more on that below)
- Angela Bassett will "cause trouble in the ballroom" with Gaga
- Sarah Paulson's character is the "baddest bad girl of them all"
- New cast members include Cheyenne Jackson and Max Greenfield
- Emma Roberts should appear in the end of the season
- Murphy teased us by saying he may cast Caitlyn Jenner
- It's confirmed that Denis O'Hare is returning
I think it's a pretty solid cast so far.
Now, what the hell does he mean by Evan Peters being in "Room 64"? Well, I got this from an article about the Chateau Marmont in Los Angeles:
"The most famous room in this turreted castle towering over Sunset Boulevard is Room 64, the two-bedroom penthouse suite where Howard Hughes famously spied on starlets in the oval swimming pool below through his binoculars."
Evan Peters playing a wealthy pervert with binoculars? Very AHS.
Something that I think could have been a hint in Freak Show was Dandy Mott telling his mother she was "no better than the Roosevelts". Why?
"The Roosevelt Hotel is one of the most famous hotels in Los Angeles and one of the most haunted places in the world. It has long been a hangout for Hollywood's biggest stars, including Marilyn Monroe, and the Blossom Ballroom is where many guests have claimed to have seen the apparition of a maid."
The glamor of Hollywood is definitely not a new thing for this show, and that sounds like something that would fit perfectly.
Finally, here's a little bit about one of Hollywood's most notorious murder cases:
"She [Elizabeth Short] was making phone calls in the [Biltmore Hotel] lobby when he saw her last -- becoming, along with the hotel employees, the last person to see Ms. Short alive."
Wait, Elizabeth who? Elizabeth Short, a.k.a. The Black Dahlia, one of the many characters in the first season of AHS.
But it's only July, and I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens when American Horror Story: Hotel premieres on FX in October.
Follow my AHS blog here!