I'm still coming to grips with the fact that Fallout 4 exists with an actual 2015 release date attached to it. If we'd been told it'd happen at the start of this year, there's no way we could have believed it. But after sitting through an E3 showcase headed by Bethesda's own Todd Howard, you have to admit that dreams do come true.
As we wait for the inevitable disappearance of millions of people from their jobs, schools, colleges and families on November 10th, some devoted fans have taken to examining every inch of the E3 showcase for clues. Amazingly, new bits of information are constantly being discovered. Let's check out a recent examination into Fallout 4's Boston, with new insights into story and gameplay.
Fallout 4 - Bethesda's E3 Showcase Still Holds Gameplay News & Story Info!
Know that these excellent observations come courtesy of the devoted gamers over on Reddit - with particular praise being directed at arkywvia. Awesome job as always Bethesda fans. So let's delve deep into the world of Fallout 4. Some of the information uncovered in the E3 showcase is small and to some may seem inconsequential. But Bethesda are famous for their attention to detail, and this post-apocalyptic landscape is riddled with detail!
It's difficult to discern what exactly happened within Vault 111. Bethesda wanted to ensure that the secrets it withholds are kept as secrets. Therefore, we get a glimpse into pre-nuclear war with our character creation system and our own desperate attempt to reach the vault. Suddenly the game is propelled 200 years into the future and we emerge from the vault alone. What's happened to our family during this time?
Prior to nuclear disaster, gamers have concluded that either the husband or wife, depending on the player's choice, served in the military. Items in their home suggest they were decorated during this time and it's obviously why we can leave the vault and proceed to kick ass. However, this is really all we've been able to dig up before nuclear disaster. It's afterwards that information comes pouring in!
We've all seen that the level of rebuilding in Fallout 4 is far beyond that of Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Players have seen evidence of schools, factories, skyscrapers and other structures under construction. They've also seen that some of these places may be guarded by turrets. It seems we won't be the only ones that can completely lock down a location of our own construction. All of this demonstrates that this is an advanced society in Fallout 4.
In terms of conversations, players have seen that the conversation options available below point to something Bethesda didn't discuss. It seems that yellow conversation options will be a way for us to continue talking to NPCs while additionally furthering the chances of them helping us. For instance, its been confirmed that Codsworth, seen below, is a possible companion in Fallout 4. Tapping that yellow conversation option will eventually lead us on the path to making that happen. Here's hoping they're better companions than those in Skyrim!
In terms of gameplay there is a whole list of options that have been discovered. Just take a look at this list below:
- As seen below, Skyrim quest markers are in Fallout 4
- Red Rocket Stations are places to work on your armour while wandering around Boston
- NPCs can build the same kind of structures we can in game
- We have fighting pits and the return of the Power Fist
- Ferral Ghouls and other enemies may lose limbs and keep fighting
- You'll need special perks for more advanced settlement structures as well as combat perks
- Fallout Shelter uses a similar system to Fallout 4 in the construction of settlements
- The compass will show the elevation of quest markers with the shapes of the buildings
- We'll have a grenade damage indicator along with other gameplay aspects taken from modern shooters
- There is apparently an airport or plane according to the compass indicator at one point in the E3 showcase
- Visual armour degradation is confirmed by enemies and your character
- Using your jetpack drains core as well as action points
- The new Pip-Boy is model 3000 IV
That is a ridiculous amount of information to take in, but Fallout 4 is going to be an insanely deep experience. I can't wait to get lost in a world of Bethesda's creation all over again. [Star Wars: Battlefront](tag:2684021) comes out a week after Fallout 4...I may have to postpone playing it for quite some time. Let us know what you think of all this in the comments and whether you've noticed something interesting in the E3 showcasing of Bethesda's beautiful new game!