Back in 2008, fans of Deadpool were at first astonished when A-List Hollywood royalty Ryan Reynolds was cast as their favorite comic book character in “X-Men Origins: Wolverine.” After all, Reynolds is the type of guy who appeared in People Magazine’s “Sexiest Man Alive” issue three years in a row, and Deadpool… has not done that. Probably never will, either. Ick.
But, make no mistake if you look past the pretty face (or the disgusting one, in Wade Wilson’s case), there’s no one better to play the Merc with a Mouth than Ryan Reynolds. Heck, we wouldn’t even be getting a new solo “Deadpool” movie in February without Reynolds’ guidance — and judging from the response from this year’s San Diego Comic-Con, it looks like this flick’s shaping up to be the best on-screen version of Deadpool possible.
Don’t believe me? Then you probably don’t follow Ryan Reynolds on Twitter. If you did, then you’d know just how twisted, weird, and full of non-sequiturs his sense of humor can be. Gee, who does that sound like…?
1. He takes totally heartwarming things and makes them weird.
Like guest-appearing on “Sesame Street,” for example.
2. He likes to troll comic book nerds.
3. He is woefully misinformed on many things.
But that doesn’t stop him from punching.
4. He has great ideas sometimes.
Patent that ish, Ryan!
5. He enjoys thinking out loud.
6. He’s always covered in blood for some reason.
That’s why Deadpool wears the red suit, right?
7. He is very nurturing and responsible.
8. He asks the important questions.
America needs to know!
9. He goes to a very surreal therapist.
10. He doesn’t mind making fun of himself.
Or, in this case, he doesn’t mind making fun of terrible VERSIONS of himself.
11. His love for Dolly Parton knows no limits.
12. And his love for Zayn… probably should know some limits.
Whoah buddy, simmer down there.
13. He’s all about celebrating his fellow weird Canadians.
Nathan Fillion should totally have a role in the “Deadpool” movie, amirite?
14. He’s an emoji expert.
Yes, that is exactly how Deadpool would sign his name. For poo reasons.
15. He has opinions about his Marvel colleagues…
16. … Especially Spider-Man.
Spider-pool shippers, start your engines.
17. And sometimes he makes literally no sense.
Uncle Dale’s a recurring character in Ryan Reynolds’ tweets, and he scares me.