There has never been a better time to be a Star Wars fan. Along with new books, comics, toys, video games, and more upcoming films than you can shake a lightsaber at, the team at Lucasfilm is doing justice to its now-defunct Expanded Universe in the form of Star Wars Legends. While the stories of Legends are no longer canon, many of them are being re-released as minty new copies of themselves, and it seems as though these updates don't stop at the old novels and Dark Horse comics.
This week, an Aspyr Media spokesperson took to Steam with an announcement that shook the fandom: after almost a decade of desolation, Knights of the Old Republic II finally received an update titled The Sith Lords. The spokesperson posted the following details on the much-beloved, but often considered unfinished game:
New features include:
- 37 achievements to be earned through gameplay
- Steam Cloud saves
- Native widescreen resolution support
- Resolution support up to 4K and 5K
- Support for controllers, including Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4, along with several others (check the system requirements for details)
- Steam Workshop support! We proudly worked with the Restored Content Mod Team to have their famous TSLRCM up on launch day
- Oh... and we added a “Force Speed Effects” option in the menu ;)
KOTOR II has long since been considered the best installment of the popular PC game series, and while the news was welcomed, it was also downright confusing to some fans. All content released before April 25, 2014 -- save for all six Star Wars films and the six-season [Star Wars: The Clone Wars](tag:200641) TV series -- has been factored into Legends, so many fans are stumped as to why the update was considered necessary if it didn't contribute to the new canon.
Granted, none of us are complaining. KOTOR II's storyline expands the game further, starring the player as a lone Jedi who is struggling to stay connected to the Force, and battle of the evils of the Dark Side.
Now available for PC, Mac, and Linux, Knights of the Old Republic II is on sale via Steam for only $7.49.