In August, I will be going to a comic convention in my city to make up for missing what seems to have been the greatest SDCC yet. But there are differences between the SDCC and local cons.
- Cheaper- everything is cheaper from the ticket to the merchandise.
- Smaller- less walking to get from one end to the other.
- Usually smaller crowds- unless you're a super fan, most people don't travel cross-country to go to a local comic-con.
Cons of local cons- heh.
- A celebrity guest is more likely to bail- not always but sometimes.
- Lower quality- SDCC has high-quality displays and panels, most local cons are primarily shopping and signings.
If you're like me and missed SDCC, going to a local comic con is a good redeemer.