2015 has been a year that has gone by like the wind. In this year, we have seen some triumphs of cinema like "Love and Mercy," and some massive failures like "Paul Blart Mall Cop 2." One thing that I have really noticed so far is that this is the year of surprises. So far, I have been genuinely blown away by reboots that have come out this year, and a couple of them even became my favorites of the film series. Below, I have compiled a list of my top 5 films of 2015 so far.....
1. "Love and Mercy"- This may be a biased pick from me(being a humongous Beach Boys fan), but this biography of my music idol Brian Wilson was well acted, beautifully made, and touching beyond belief. The accuracy of the studio sessions made me go wild, and it was almost magical to see them be recreated almost perfectly. Paul Dano and John Cusack both gave amazing performances as Wilson(the former being Oscar worthy in my opinion). My points could go on and on about this movie, but in short, it is my favorite film of the year.
2. "Inside Out"- Pixar has always been an impressive company, but in this great year, they hit their absolute peak with "Inside Out." This was a deep, touching, and original film that left me pondering for days. The advertising had it looking like a cute children's movie, but it was anything but this. The plot was so intricately done, and it really went above any film that Disney has ever made. The animation was also beautiful beyond belief, as it had a whole array of colors, and designs that were very new to the company. I honestly think that this was one of the greatest animated films of all time, and it was definitely one of the best films of the year.
3. "Mad Max: Fury Road"- "Mad Max" was a humongous action series of the late 1970's and 1980's, and the last film was released in 1985. It was quite a surprise to me when I heard that George Miller was coming out with a new installment. I was initially very skeptical of how the finished project of this movie would be, but after my time in theater, I was absolutely taken away. This film brought a new energy to the series, and had the most chaotic action I have ever seen. The cast was fantastic, the cinematography was stellar, and this was just an all around great movie. It was definitely my favorite film of the entire series, and it is my third pick for the best films of this year.
4. "Jurassic World"- This is probably the most controversial pick on my list, because I have heard a lot of mixed reviews, but I enjoyed "Jurassic World" beyond belief. This wasn't the most intelligent film I have seen in my life, but it was a fun B-Movie monster movie that reminded me of the films of the 1950's. It was action packed, well acted, greatly filmed, and an all around great installment. This was the most enjoyable film of the Jurassic Park series, and for that, it has to be on my list.
5. "McFarland USA"- Disney has been making inspiring sports films for decades now, and they all meet the same formula. Regardless, it is rare that I am ever disappointed by one of them. "McFarland USA" exceeded all of my expectations, and went above and beyond. This film was inspiring, touching, and it had a message of determination that really sat well with me. Kevin Costner was fantastic as the lead, and every supporting actor gave great performances. I also thought that the portrayal of culture in this town was very well done, because it showed that even though we live in the same country as the people in this film, they live a very different life, and they make the most of it. This was definitely my favorite sports film by Disney, and it is one that should be watched by everyone.
The year isn't over yet, and there is a lot of time for surprises, so let's hope for some more movie magic in 2015!
Which films have been your favorite so far?