Good morning/afternoon/evening, fans!
Since 1996, the Mission Impossible film franchise has been popular with moviegoers and continues to be a hit with its latest addition [Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation](tag:373501). With the film’s success, a sixth film is currently being developed.
Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to learn trivia about the film franchise. As always, should you or any of your I.M. Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This post will self-destruct in 15 seconds. Good luck!
Mission: Impossible I
1. This is the only film in the franchise that doesn't feature any shootouts or gunfights.
2. The shot of Ethan and Claire kissing passionately shown in the trailer and in the brief excerpts at the start of the film, was never actually featured in the movie.
3. This is the first film to have a release in over 3000 theaters in the USA.
Mission: Impossible II
4. This is the first movie that Metallica ever agreed to write a song for.
5. The part of Mission Commander Swanbeck was originally offered to Ian McKellen. Due to a prior theatre engagement in London, he couldn’t accept the role, and the part eventually went to Anthony Hopkins.
6. Actor Dougray Scott was originally set to play Wolverine in X-Men (2000), but had to pull out when the production on this film went longer than expected.
Mission: Impossible III
7. This is the most expensive film ($150 million) ever directed by a first time feature film director.
8. For the role of Lindsey Farris, Scarlett Johansson was initially cast but pulled out of the project and the role eventually went to Keri Russell.
9. Actresses Keri Russell, Michelle Monaghan and Maggie Q have all voiced the superhero Wonder Woman. Russell in Wonder Woman (2009), Q in Young Justice (2010) and Monaghan in Justice League: War (2014).
Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol
10. The signature jump-and-hang-in-the-air stunt that Tom Cruise did in the first film was performed again by Jeremy Renner in this film.
11. Tom Cruise’s birthday (070362) is the code that Ethan uses at the payphone to get his latest mission.
12. Actors Anthony Mackie, Christopher Egan, Kevin Zegers, Chris Pine, and Tom Hardy were considered to play William Brandt, a role which eventually went to Jeremy Renner.
Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation
13. Benedict Cumberbatch was the filmmakers' first choice to play the film’s villain.
14. This is the first film in the franchise where every member of Ethan Hunt's IMF team is a veteran of at least one of the previous installments.
15. This is the only Mission: Impossible film to date where the main villain isn’t killed off.
- Every film in the franchise has had a different director. Brian De Palma directed the first film, John Woo directed the sequel, J.J. Abrams directed M:I III, Brad Bird directed Ghost Protocol, and Rogue Nation was directed by Christopher Mcquarrie.
- Out of the directors, only J.J. Abrams is attached to other films in the franchise - Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation - as a producer.
- Tom Cruise and Ving Rhames are the only actors to appear in all five films in the franchise.