It seems that the Harry Potter community is riddled with potential fan theories. Having trawled through a fair share in my time, I'm almost never surprised by something that really blows my mind anymore. Until now.
A "WHAT IF?", outlined by Tumblr user crazybutperfectlysane, discusses a very peculiar idea and bases itself on just one passage in the fourth book, Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire.
What does this WHAT IF stipulate?
The speculation involves, what in my opinion, is one of the most underrated and misunderstood of Hogwarts houses - Slytherin!
And the discussion is firmly placed on the question of what would have happened had Cassius Warrington in fact been chosen to participate in the Triwizard Tournament. Instead of Cedric Diggory, of course.
This theory pinpoints this passage in the book:
Well, crazybutperfectlyinsane seems to think that things would have turned out very differently indeed. Let's imagine what would have happened if:
1. Dumbledore had called out the name of the Hogwarts champion
"Slytherin!" Everyone would groan because a student from a house that everyone hates was somehow elected.
2. Cassius had to deal with the barrage of hate
He's been dealing with this shit since he was sorted in First Year. But he keeps his chin up and joins the other champions.
3. Harry would have tried to catch Cassius alone all the time because he would not want him to fail the first task
Not only would he not have wanted to associate himself openly with the Slytherins, but Malfoy would also be an obstacle as he would probably be lurking around the champion like a bad smell.
4. Cassius came to find Harry later, and Ron and Hermione would have been all protective
Instead of getting all up in his face, wand blazing, he would probably just tell him to stick the egg in the water. After all, Slytherins do not forget those who helped them out.
5. Cassius and Harry helped each other out in the labyrinth
6. Harry was devastated when Cassius is killed
Because Voldy doesn't give a shit which house you're from.
7. The Slytherins were horrified!
There would be an uproar because some of their parents really are Death Eaters and would totally know what happened.
8. They would fight in the Battle of Hogwarts, shouting "This is for Cassius!"
And it doesn't end there. Another theorizer, aplatonicjacuzzi, decided to dig even deeper and explore what it would mean if a Slytherin was killed by Voldemort. This is what was suggested:
1. Slytherins might realize that even pure bloods aren't safe from Voldemort
When Cassius's body is retrieved, there would be nobody to mourn him or cradle him in their arms. The Slytherins know why - his parents were probably Death Eaters too.
Reaching out to classmates from other houses, the Slytherins would be terrified because their parents essentially lied to them by telling them they were safe.
2. They might join Dumbledore's Army
They would learn more about who Voldemort really is, without the barrier of their parents preventing them from doing so. They would be shocked beyond belief when they find out what he's really done.
3. They might go with Harry to the Ministry of Magic, proving themselves as allies
Just imagine the horror when they are confronted by Lucius Malfoy and the other Death Eaters. Could one of them be their parents behind the mask?
4. Slytherins might become more cooperative with the other houses
Two years following Voldemort's "return," two years of their parents just getting up and leaving without a word, wincing at the pain on the arms. Two years after the death of the first Slytherin pureblood.
5. Slytherins might spy on their parents
And send that information to Harry and the Order of the Phoenix, while hoping that their parents won't be killed.
3. Leading to the final face down with the Dark Lord himself!
Imagine the final siege, with many Slytherins knowing they might have to come head-to-head with their own parents.
These two posts have been riding the web for a couple of months now, and honestly, I think it's a very legitimate WHAT IF option.
I think it's absolutely fascinating to try to fathom how the story would have played out, had Harry Potter had a different kind of support network at Hogwarts!