As far as book-to-movie adaptations go (Game of Thrones, I'm glaring at you...), Warner Bros. has done a superb job at keeping the Harry Potter films as close to the original story as possible.
But of course, it's not realistic to fit everything spanning the 4,100 pages in the book series into 8 movies. And with a heavy heart, it is understandable that the script writers had to cut out some of the events/storylines.
The following 21 Harry Potter moments sadly didn't make the cut - and boy, don't we wish they had!
1. More of Peeves the Poltergeist!
He had to be one of the best characters in the books but the was almost entirely cut from the movies. They actually filmed scenes with the late British comedian Rik Mayall as Peeves, but they ultimately decided not to use the footage.
2. Harry handing over his Triwizard tournament money to the Weasley twins
So they could start their joke shop!
3. Molly's terrifying Boggart
She sees all her family members dead. Ironically, the twins appear together, because never in her worst nightmares did she imagine Fred and George ever separated.
Remind yourself of what Ron's was from the Prisoner of Azkaban:
4. The messages of support from visitors to Harry's old home
Right in the feels!
5. More about Neville being The Chosen One
After all, he's arguably the second most important person in the series - why isn't there more of his backstory?
6. Harry getting all ragey at Dumbledore over Sirius's death
7. Neville's parents at St. Mungo's
Harry, Ron and Hermione run into them at the Janus Thickey Ward, a long-term ward for those with permanent damage. So sad!
8. Seeing the Diadem in the Room of Requirement a year before knowing what it was
Oh, how well the pieces of the puzzle all fit together!
9. Amycus Carrow spitting in McGonagall's face
Harry was totally justified in using the Cruciatus Curse on him because of it. Not to say Minerva couldn't have dealt with it herself though, considering she was such a badass confronting Snape:
10. Harry telling Lupin not to leave his son
That was heart-breaking, but he had to do what he had to do!
11. Kreacher leading the house-elves in the Battle of Hogwarts
He wasn't such a little shit after all.
12. Harry going to Dumbledore's office to fix his own wand with the Elder Wand
The portraits in there meet him with applause and he sheds a tear at seeing Dumbledore in his.
13. Ummm... Charlie Weasley!?
He's only mentioned about twice in the entire movie series and we only see him momentarily in the Weasley family photo! And he's a pretty cool dude, studying dragons way over in Romania and whatnot.
14. Wormtail's own hand killing him
He turns the silver hand Voldemort gave him on himself and dies of strangulation.
15. A flash-back to when Voldemort last meets with Dumbledore after applying for the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher
This is the last meeting between the two where there is still little pretense of formality and respect.
16. Ron de-gnoming the garden
Just because it would have been HILARIOUS!
17. Rita Skeeter being an unregistered animagus (a beetle)
And that's how she got all that secret information for her stories.
18. Dudley's glorious redemptive moment
The Dursley's final moments were largely glossed over in the final moments of the movie series. In particular, I would have loved to have seen Dudley's awkward peace offering and handshake with Harry, but unfortunately it was deleted from the final cut of the film.
19. Winky's tragic drinking problem
It baffles me why the movies denied us a glimpse into a house-elf drinking problem.
20. Ron and Hermione become school prefects
And this spurs on Harry's rage even more. Ah, the teenage angst (and Voldy messing with his brain obvs!)
21. Merope Gaunt
And basically 90% of the rest of Voldemort's history. Why is that while the sixth book was essentially a history lesson in the Dark Lord, we barely got to see any of it on the big screen?