Gamescom was an enlightening experience for Moviepilot. We tried everything we could possibly get our hands on, from Cuphead and Dark Souls 3, to [Star Wars: Battlefront](tag:2684021) and Crytek's new dinosaur VR game! Everything took me by surprise - for instance, I spent way too much time playing Guitar Hero Live and one other fantastic game, PES 2016. I engaged with something like 6 matches with various individuals at Gamescom with PES and it was genuinely fantastic.
I've always played FIFA, I'm by no means an expert, by my involvement with football sims has always been through EA's franchise. However, after recent abhorrent scandals, I was ready to ditch FIFA forever. Then of course, they introduced Women's Football and bravely advocated their presence by featuring them on the cover of FIFA 16, but only in the USA, Canada and Australia. I was ready to give FIFA 16 a chance, that is until I got my hands on PES 2016.
Why PES 2016 Destroyed FIFA 16 At Gamescom
As some of you may know, PES 2016 walked away with the Best Sports Game prize after Gamescom 2015. It was competing against FIFA 16 and Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash and for the second year in a row, it impressed gaming publications the world over. Talking with representatives and developers from Konami, one thing became very clear: they knew they messed up.
For years, PES has dropped the ball (excuse the pun), they allowed FIFA to dominate the industry and while the game survived on an obscure reputation, it looked like it was never going to receive the same attention as it once did. But Konami are determined to bring PES back into the spotlight. The cues for FIFA 16 at Gamescom were crazy, whereas I could constantly walk up to a TV with PES waiting for me. It goes to show how much of an underdog PES has become, but who doesn't love an underdog? But why route for PES 2016 over FIFA 16?
Why is PES 2016's Gameplay More Superior?
- From graphics and animations, PES 2016 takes a noticeable step forward from PES 2015.
- Passes are far more accurate, especially thanks to an improved button reaction time.
- PES 2016's collision system is an astounding leap forward for the franchise. I far preferred it to FIFA 15's bizarre moments.
- When out of possession, the AI in PES 2016 has your back. Defensive play is a big focus for Konami and it really pays off.
- Player faces and animations look astounding on the Fox Engine - go Kojima!
- A brand new interface makes PES 2016 a much smoother game to enjoy compared to its predecessor.
- Image import on the PS4 is a nice touch.
Are You With FIFA 16 or PES 2016?
After playing with PES 2016, moving over to FIFA 16 was jarring. It felt like I had less control, everything seemed more arcade-like and it was peculiar for me considering the fact that I've never owned any edition of PES before. PES 2016 was one of the hghlights of Gamescom for me personally, and I can't wait to dive into it on its release date for the XBOX One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3 and PC. But where do you stand? Let us know which game you'll be picking up in September!