Cobie Smulders is one of my original TV crushes. Her role as the Canadian weirdo/hottie Robin from How I Met Your Mother might eventually go down in history as one of the best sit-com characters we've ever had. She's clearly beautiful, a talented actress, and then... and then, she joined the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Total package.
As Maria Hill, she went from a relatively low-key TV star to a bonafide starlet and I'm sure she made some good money in the process. She's stayed out of the tabloids and headlines, even though she deserves to constantly be in all of the magazines. All of them. All the time.
Anyway, here are 10 things you may not have known about our girl Cobie...
1. Jacoba Francisca Maria Smulders is Cobie's real name
I actually think Jacoba is a cute name, but Cobie rolls off the tongue a lot better. I can see why she went with the name change.
2. Cobie is married to SNL star Taran Killam and their birthdays are two days apart
It's always pretty good to marry someone around your age. It can lead to more aligned interests, you'll grow old together, etc. But two days apart? Taran Killam's birthday is April 1, 1982 (yeah, April Fools day) and Smulders' is April 3, 1982. Soulmates?
3. Cobie's first TV appearance was on short-lived not-so-good show ‘Special Unit 2′ as ‘Zoe’ in Season, 2 Episode 13
She was only 19 at the time. I guess everybody's gotta start somewhere, right?
4. Cobie is really from Canada, and she's fluent in French *swoons*
Now, I don't know French. But I like the fact that Cobie Smulders does. I know that hearing her speak French would be majestic and for that reason I support it.
5. Cobie is 1 of 8 children. Her siblings are 4 brothers and 3 sisters
Massive family? I have absolutely no problem with that. I feel like that probably helped her develop empathy and made her a kinder person. Can't be a jerk when you're around 4 brothers and 3 sisters.
6. Cobie was recommended for the part of ‘Maria Hill’ in The Avengers by her How I Met Your Mother co-star Alyson Hannigan. Hannigan is friends with Joss Whedon from them working together on Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Good call, Alyson. And cool to see real friendships develop in Hollywood. Great casting choice.
7. Cobie actually auditioned for the part of ‘Kate’ on the hit show Lost, but she lost the part to fellow Canadian, Evangeline Lily
Lily became iconic in the role, so it's difficult to imagine Smulders as Kate. But still, cool to see that she at least had a shot at it.
8. She told US Weekly she prefers eating pizza and watching a movie at home to dressing up and going out
Can you say, "dream girl"? Because I can. I just did.
9. She loves comic books
Both of these last two are pretty damn hard to believe. If they are indeed true, this is the best woman on the planet, perhaps... wow.
10. She's super worldly and has lived and studied abroad
She's lived in Tokyo, Paris, and Milan. She's modeled. But she's also incredibly smart. She studied at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. This is all so much for me to soak in. She's perfect.
Plus, she's hilarious. I mean, look...