Nina Dobrev is a Bulgarian-Canadian actress, most well-known for her roles as Mia Jones on Degrassi: The Next Generation (2001-) and Elena Gilbert & Katerina Petrova on The Vampire Diaries (2009-). She also has a passion for volunteering, as well as for playing a variety of sports.
Anyway, Nina is even more amazing than that and here are 10 wonderful facts about her to prove this statement:
1. Nina's full name is Nikolina Konstantinova Dobreva.
It is likely that you do not use the Cyrillic alphabet, so I would like to hear how you pronounce this name (it would be absolutely hilarious). As it is well-known, Nina was born in Sofia, Bulgaria and she has never shied away from acknowledging her proud Bulgarian heritage.
2. Nina is trilingual. She speaks English, French and Bulgarian.
In case you thought that being bilingual is cool, you were dead wrong!
3. Nina has studied jazz, ballet, and rhythmic gymnastics. Also, in 2005, she participated in the Senior World Championships in Copenhagen, Denmark, and the Junior World Championships in Plzen, Czech Republic.
Last but not least, she also practices yoga - something that Conan O'Brien already knows from first-hand experience.
4. Nina Dobrev is a certified scuba diver. In order to film the famous Wickery Bridge scene in the third season finale of The Vampire Diaries (2009-), she was required to take lessons in Bora Bora. That particular underwater scene took two 8-hour days to shoot!
Talking about being dedicated to your craft...
5. The Bulgarian-Canadian actress traveled to Kenya with the purpose of building a school with fellow Degrassi: The Next Generation (2001-) co-stars through the non-profit organization - Free The Children.
Dobrev also supports many important causes and campaigns, such as Project Pink and Hunger Bites.
6. Some of her favorite films include Schindler's List (1993), The Notebook (2004), Juno (2007) and Knocked Up (2007).
I really can't say that Nina's taste in movies is bad!
7. Dobrev is six years younger than Olga Fonda who played her daughter on The Vampire Diaries (2009-).
Shouldn't they have cast them the other way round?!
8. Nina Dobrev auditioned for the role of Candace in The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012) via a Skype interview, while on the set of The Vampire Diaries (2009-).
In an interview with MTV she revealed exactly how this happened:
“I really loved the script, and I really wanted to be a part of it, but I couldn't get to where Stephen was, so we Skyped my audition. I was in between takes, and I kind of had to be like, 'Guys, I'm going to go to the bathroom. I just have to pee for five minutes.' And then I went and Skyped and auditioned and there was a moment definitely a moment that we both knew this was a right fit and it worked."
9. Nina attended Ryerson University in Toronto, majoring in sociology, but she dropped out in 2008 with the hopes of pursuing an acting career.
She has definitely made the right decision!
10. She cites child rights advocate - Craig Kielburger, Rachel McAdams and Meryl Streep amongst the people she admires most.
Some amazing role models to follow and admire!