Edward Norton was born on the 18th August in 1969. Little did people know then that baby Ed was going to become one of the best actors of our generation. With three Oscar nominations for his work in the films Primal Fear (1996), American History X (1998) and Birdman (2014), Norton has truly established himself as a Hollywood heavyweight. Moreover, he has delivered plenty more memorable performances in movies such as Fight Club (1999), The Illusionist (2006) and The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
The celebrate the actor's 46th birthday, I have compiled 10 awesome facts about him, so please enjoy the article (and write your birthday wishes in the comment section below).
1. He and Brad Pitt took soap making classes to prepare for their roles in Fight Club (1999).
In Fight Club (1999), Norton's character makes soap, which contains ingredients that can make bombs. Consequently, he and co-star Brad Pitt attended soap making classes in order to make their roles seem more authentic.
2. Ed Norton turned down the role of Patrick Bateman in American Psycho (2000)
He also turned down the role of Private Ryan in Saving Private Ryan (1998).
3. Norton is an environmental and social activist
He is a member of the board of trustees of Enterprise Community Partners, an organization (founded by his grandfather James Rouse) that develops affordable housing. Norton is also president of the American branch of the Maasai Wilderness Conservation Trust.
4. Following graduation, he worked in Osaka, Japan, for the aforementioned Enterprise Community Partners.
Where did you work immediately after graduation?
5. Edward Norton worked as a waiter, a proofreader, and a director's assistant before becoming an actor.
He also applied to become a cab driver in New York, but he was rejected for not meeting the age requirement.
6. He has a tabby cat named Maggie.
She is named after Elizabeth Taylor's character - Maggie Pollitt from Cat in a Hot Tin Roof (1958).
7. Norton is good friends with Ron Livingston and Paul Giamatti, since meeting them while studying together in Yale.
In 1991 he graduated from Yale with a B.A. in History.
8. He was 33 years old when he played Will Graham in Red Dragon (2002). Interestingly enough, William Petersen was at the same age when he played this character in Manhunter (1986).
Yeah, that doesn't sound spooky at all!
9. Norton auditioned unsuccessfully for roles in With Honors (1994), Hackers (1995) and Up Close & Personal (1996).
Eventually, he made his film debut in Primal Fear (1996).
10. Some of his favorite films are: The Cruise (1998), The King of Comedy (1982), Tampopo (1986), Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf" (1966) and Ruggles of Red Gap (1935).
You most definitely can't say that Ed Norton has a bad taste in movies!
So, there you have it, folks! Ed Norton has managed to deliver outstanding acting performances over the past 20 years and he will certainly continue this trend for many more years to come. Once again, happy birthday, Edward Norton!