Her was a film I cam across while looking through the best picture nominations at the Oscars for that particular year. When I read the story-line, I was intrigued and I immediately saw the film afterwards. So, in quick words, here are my thoughts
- The performances are great (particularly Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson) and the main leads have great chemistry
- It is very well written (this is Spike Jonze's solo screenwriting debut btw), and the dialogue between the main characters is always very interesting to listen to
- Its an original plot or at the very least, it has a setting that is original
- The score is great and wonderful to listen to (great job Arcade Fire)
- Characters are very well developed by the end of the story
- The ending was perfect!
- Pacing can be a bit too slow at parts
- Conversations between Amy Adams and Joaquin Phoenix's characters can be a bit of a drag
With a fresh, original story, a well-written screenplay and extraordinary performances from Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson. ‘Her’ is by far, not only one of the best films that came out of 2013, it ranks as one of the best romantic films to have come in a long time and trust me, I am not a huge fan of this particular genre (I hate romance, okay, don't judge me please!). This film is a reason why I love the Oscars (sometimes). For if they didn't have these films nominated, I probably would not have even believed that this film existed. With all that said, I give Her a 9/10.
Final Rating: 9/10