So... Scarlett Johansson as Mulan...
I can honestly say, "I DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING!"
Disney, what do you have to say for yourself?
“We are aware that casting Scarlett may not agree with everyone’s opinion on what Mulan should be, but we find that we’re going to appeal to a much wider audience with Scarlett and create a much more financially viable production than in a scenario where we had hired some Chinese actress.”
What about ABC's Mulan from the TV Show Once Upon a Time?
China wasn't pleased when Disney released their interpretation of Mulan in 1998. To remedy the issue, China made their own LIVE VERSION OF MULAN in 2009 called Mulan: Rise of a Warrior starring Zhao Wei as Mulan and Jackie Chan's son Jaycee Chan as Xiaohu Fei. Check out the trailer:
Hey! Couldn't Disney cast Zhao as-Oh wait...Disney said they picked Johansson due to financial reasons. It's about MONEY! They said it! See:
"...but we find that we’re going to appeal to a much wider audience with Scarlett and create a much more financially viable production..."
DISNEY, DISNEY, DISNEY!
Now, no offense to Johansson! She's a wonderful actress in her own right but to have her cast as Mulan? A Chinese woman? The Hero of CHINA?? Johansson however, appears to be happy about her new role and said:
“I am extremely happy to be a part of such a monumental and historically rich production. In playing Mulan, I’ve really felt like I was there in the China, fighting the huns, I really felt at home and I’m looking forward to sharing the experience on the screen.”
TIME OUT!! QUESTION TIME:
- Did Disney not think of the backlash this could cause?
- The other Disney films that they are turning into live movies have their original characters. Why are they changing Mulan's race from Chinese to White?
- Why is Disney taking away this opportunity for a Chinese actress to portray Mulan?
- Is money REALLY an issue for Disney?
- WHAT'S GOING ON???
How is the story going to work? THEORY TIME:
- This new Mulan is adopted into a Chinese family somehow...maybe her family was killed and she was taken as an infant?
- The new Mulan's family moved to China from America/European country, became citizens, and her ailing father isn't able to fight so she fights in his stead.
- Maybe the new Mulan is half Chinese...maybe...
This all could be a hoax though according to this article HERE
What do you think? Sound off!
What do you think? Is Disney making a smart move by casting Scarlett Johansson as Mulan or is this a mistake?
Check out the full article about Johansson as Mulan HERE.