Fox's new mystery thriller Wayward Pines, based on the original novels by Blake Crouch, is the first show in quite a while to compel me, so much so I've stuck to it and now that I've finished it, I feel the need to prove why it's so worth checking out without giving any spoilers. Here are 10 reasons to get stuck into the show.
1. With credits including Executive Producer and Director of the pilot, it seems M. Night Shyamalan may well be on his way to a spectacular comeback, boasting his ability to stir mystery and unease to create some truly compelling drama.
2. Twist after twist after twist, when you think you have it all figured out Wayward Pines throws in surprises consistently. I found myself in regular confusion and disbelief, eager to see how events unfold as the series goes on.
3. Matt Dillon, Terrence Howard, Carla Gugino, Melissa Leo, Shannyn Sossamon, Toby Jones, Charlie Tahan, Reed Diamond and Hope Davis. This is one hell of a talented cast, bolstered down by an even further expanding stellar supporting cast.
4. Things actually happen, events unfold at a well paced rate. Compared to other shows that have episodes stuffed with heavy dialogue and only short bursts of excitement, Wayward Pines boasts action, thrills, scares and strange events in each episode as well as teeth gritting tension.
5. Wayward Pines feels like a well balanced mashup of The Truman Show, The Island and The Village but has more than enough ideas of its own to standalone.
6. After seemingly gone quiet from our screens, Shannyn Sossamon makes a brilliant return this year, starring in Sinister 2 and now playing an essential role here, another winning performance in this show.
7. Character conflict is on full pelt here. Watching Matt Dillon's gruff and blunt secret service agent go up against Terrence Howard's feared town cop sets off explosive fireworks. Then there's fiery tension between Carla Gugino's character and Shannyn Sossamon's character Theresa Burke, as well as suspicion between her son's manipulative teacher played by the terrific Hope Davis.
8. Oscar winning actress Melissa Leo takes a superbly twisted turn as Nurse Pam, one of the main cogs in this eerie series. Her performance alone builds suspense and some dark laughs along the way.
9. "There's something out there, beyond the trees" - Easily one of the spookiest lines in the series, the thought of a deadly threat that's lurking amongst the town's inhabitants adds a realistic and unnerving horror aspect.
10. There's rumour a second season may well be in the works - So get to Wayward Pines season 1 now!