The Metal Gear Solid series is like no other and other games have emulated its style of complex plot-lines and use of cinematic cut scenes. But its biggest contribution, in my opinion, is that the game helped popularize the stealth genre.
The Metal Gear Solid history is long and vast. Sometimes it deviates from its purpose and tries too hard in delivering a narrative that sometimes gets so bewildering, it becomes a little bit distracting (Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots) and sometimes it's just simply a masterpiece (Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater) using easy-to-follow story (by Metal Gear Solid standards) and still deliver some of the best moments I've seen in a video game.
With the release of the newest entry in the series, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, it marks the end of the story we know since 1987 under the name of Metal Gear. The game got the attention of the world and mine when Metal Gear Solid was released for the Playstation 1 in 1998.
Yes, Metal Gear Solid has been around for a while now and to celebrate the end of this excellent series, I invite you to take part in a trivia that hopefully will serve as a tribute to this great achievement in video gaming.
First, let's warm up. Shall we?
1. Who is the creator of the Metal Gear series?
2. According to the Metal Gear chronology, which would be the first game in the series?
3. Metal Gear Solid for Playstation 1 was a breakthrough for this series. In what year does the story take place?
4. What's the code name of the main character in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater?
5. What is Revolver Ocelot's weapon of choice?
Nicely done! Now, it's time to crank up the heat...
6. True or False. Solid Snake is the main protagonist in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty?
7. After the events at Shadow Moses, Otacon and Solid Snake become part of a non-governmental organization that investigates the development of new Metal Gear. What is the name of the organization?
8. What is the name of the character shown in the picture?
9. In Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Snake has to go at some point to South America to:
10. Some of the characters in the series say "the Patriots" and the other person will reply "The La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo? Why is that?
Still with me? Awesome. These next questions are for the true fans...
11. After Snake locates Naomi, she tests him to determine the cause of his rapid aging. What does she discover?
12. What kind of weapon does Gray Fox (cyborg ninja) use?
13. The main goal of the Virtuous Mission was:
14. What type of sniper rifle does the End use?
15. One hundred billion dollars was collected by the highest powers in China, the Soviet Union, and the United States around the time of World War II to create what?
OK, we are almost done. The Metal Gear Solid series has a great variety of characters. Let's see if you can recognize the following...
16. Who is she?
17. What is the real name of this gunslinger?
18. This lovely lady is known for all these names except for:
19. Who is she?
20. Which Metal Gear is this?
Bonus. In Metal Gear Solid, where can you find Meryl Silverburgh CODEC frequency and which one is it?
WE ARE DONE!
Now, let's see how well did you do:
1-5 Correct Answers, you get:
Congratulations? I guess. Even with your poor hand-to-hand skills and generally hapless behavior and let's not forget the irritable bowel syndrome, you still managed to show enough knowledge to live to see another day. And that's good, right? You play this game suffering through the punishing levels while trying to make sense of the narrative and skipping most of the cut scenes.
6-10 Correct Answers, you get:
You can provide the information that everybody needs... for a price. Your knowledge is indispensable and you know enough of the Metal Gear Solid universe to get you through the game and enjoy it moderately. Maybe this is not a game you would spend hours discovering all its secrets but you will never refuse a good challenge.
11-15 Correct Answers, you get:
Dr. Hal "Otacon" Emmerich
You are Solid Snake's shadow. Without you, our hero would be dead in seconds. The best soldier this world has ever seen is nothing without your intellect and knowledge of every item used in the game. You care about the characters enough that you may get attach to them. You might get overwhelmed sometimes by everything you see and learn but at the end, the experience will prove that it was worth all the time invested. You treat this game with respect and in return, it rewards you.
16-20 Correct Answers, you get:
THE BOSS & BIG BOSS
You are Snake. This world was put in front of you and you owned it. This video game was created for people like you. You immerse yourself in the narrative, you discover every single weakness of the enemy before getting head on in to the battle and discover every secret this universe had to offer. You go where you are needed. Not for anyone but for yourself. You learned from your mistakes and did what it was needed to succeed. You beat this game and found new ways to play it afterwards. You understood this world and conquered it in the process.
You're pretty good!
Well, there you have it. Thank you for your time and I hope you enjoyed the read.