ByTrevor Norkey, writer at Creators.co
Writer, filmmaker, actor and film enthusiast.
Trevor Norkey

[The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2](tag:449866), the long awaited conclusion to the Hunger Games franchise is set to release this November worldwide. After starting as a very successful young adult novel trilogy and turning into a full movie franchise, more and more fans seem to be drawn to this popular series.

One of the common themes amongst book series is to base them off of real-life events. For example, Lord of the Rings is based on World War I and The Chronicles of Narnia are based on the ideals of Christianity. The Hunger Games also seems to hold a resemblance to a certain historical event that was likely the inspiration of the series.

The setting and events of The Hunger Games bears an uncanny resemblance to the Industrial Revolution, specifically the harsh living conditions in Europe during the 18th and 19th Centuries. Looking more into the books and the history, one could find more and more connections between this time period and the setting of the book. In addition, the plot of the series is very similar to the socialist theories of Karl Marx during this time. Let's take a look at some of these similarities.

The capitalist society

During the Industrial Revolution, only the fortunate capitalist 1% held any power or wealth in society, most of them owning large corporations and factories. The other 99% worked mostly for factories, living as a lower working class with absolutely no hope of ascending in their desperate career.

Likewise, in The Hunger Games, the fortunate 1% was the Capitol (similar to the word capitalist, don't you think?). Of course, it wasn't exactly 1%, but it was still the minority of the population. The rest of the population had to work for the Capitol with absolutely no hope of ascending in the system. Like the working class during the Industrial Revolution, the citizens of the Districts were stuck in their areas, working to survive, knowing life would not get any better from there. They simply had to accept their horrible fate.

The grueling struggle for children

During the Industrial Revolution, especially in major cities, children had to start working in factories at a young age in order to help their families. The working conditions were very harsh and dangerous. In fact, over a quarter of the kids working in factories would end up having fatal injuries.

The Hunger Games equivalent of this would clearly be the 'Hunger Games' themselves. Though the Games were more dangerous than working in the factories, it was a clear equivalent of the harsh working conditions children faced. Kids would go into work knowing they may not survive, while the kids in the books would go into the Hunger Games knowing there was a very slight chance they would survive. The reason some kids volunteered themselves into the Games was often to help their families - the same reason kids in the Industrial Revolution would go into work.

Karl Marx and the Mockingjay Revolution

Karl Marx created the concept of socialism (which is actually very different from communism) during the Industrial Revolution time period. His belief (or hope, more so) was that eventually the working class would attempt to overthrow the capitalist 1% to create a peaceful, classless society.

During the events of The Hunger Games, District 13 completes Karl Marx's theory by helping the working class (the Districts) rise above their capitalistic leaders (the Capitol).

It ended with the free, classless society that Karl Marx always dreamed about.

A capitalistic society where the working class was hopelessly led by the greedy 1% and a harsh working environment for kids? It is very clear that The Hunger Games was based on the harsh, deadly, hopeless environment of the Industrial Revolution, with the rise against the Capitol resembling the socialistic ideas of Karl Marx. Many books resemble previous historic events, and it is quite likely that this popular series was actually based upon Europe's Industrial Revolution.

What do you think? Let me know in the comments, and thanks for reading!

Poll

Do you think The Hunger Games was based on the Industrial Revolution?

Trending

Latest from our Creators