Greetings dear readers, followers, Trekkies, Trekkers and dare I say...friends...
49 Years ago television history was made. Pop culture was redefined. Lives were changed. Visionary writer and producer Gene Roddenberry aired his first episode of Star Trek and the landscape of entertainment was never the same.
Next year marks the incredible 50th anniversary of this innovative and groundbreaking science fiction series. This writer and self proclaimed Star Trek guru will be embarking on a one year mission to pay tribute to Roddenberry's spectacular work.
Beginning in January 2016 and running through (at least) September 2016 - to coincide with the 50th Anniversary date - I'll be posting a series of articles, essays and discussions about all eras of Star Trek, it's impact and it's legacy.
A sample of what to expect includes:
- Wagon Train to the Stars: The Story of Star Trek
- In Memoriam: Remembering Those We've Lost From Star Trek
- The Series on the Edge of Forever: The Top 10 Episodes of Star Trek
- I Have Been and Shall Always Be Your Friend: The Legacy of Spock
- Tea Earl Grey Hot: The Story of Star Trek The Next Generation
- A Better Tomorrow: Diversity and Equality in Star Trek
- Based Upon Star Trek Created by Gene Roddenberry: A Look at Fan Films
- A Tribute to Jerry Goldsmith and the Top Themes from Star Trek
- And Many Many More...
Over the course of those coming nine months (or more) I plan to cover all eras of Star Trek television (each show), all of the movies, fandom and the enduring legacy of Gene Roddenberry's vision of a better future where all conflict was set aside and we looked forward to a peaceful existence.
Hopefully, I'll be able to talk directly with people who were involved with production of the franchise. Actors, actresses, writers, producers...hell, costume designers and art directors...anybody who can and wants to share their experiences with the series and shed some insight on a fifty year journey...I want to speak with you.
Have you made a fan film or web series? Do you run a Star Trek themed Podcast? Do you cosplay at every convention? Has Star Trek made a profound impact on your life? I want to talk with you as well. So follow me on Twitter (@ThisIsJamesT) and let's boldly go together.
Let's also get #50YearsInTheFinalFrontier trending on social media and give this franchise the respect it so deserves.