Just for reference sake, as of this writing (Sept. 24, 2015) below is a list of all (?) of what I would term the 'fantastic adventure' category films (i.e., superhero, sci-fi, fantasy, sword-and-sandal, etc.) from now through 2016.
Man, what a slate! Which are the films that you're looking forward to most? Have I missed any?
(I share my own 'most anticipated' list at the end.)
The Martian – October 2nd, 2015
The Last Witch Hunter – October 23rd, 2015
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 – November 20th, 2015
Victor Frankenstein – November 25th, 2015
Star Wars Episode VII – The Force Awakens – December 18th, 2015
Deadpool – February 12th, 2016
Ben Hur reboot – February 26th, 2016
The Divergent Series: Allegiant – Part 1 – March 18th, 2016
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice – March 25th, 2016
Gods of Egypt – April 8th, 2016
The Huntsman – April 22nd, 2016
Captain America: Civil War – May 6th, 2016
X-Men: Apocalypse – May 27th, 2016
Alien: Paradise Lost (Prometheus 2) – May 30th, 2016
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 – June 3rd, 2016
Warcraft – June 10th, 2016
Independence Day 2 – June 24th, 2016
Tarzan reboot – July 1st, 2016
Star Trek Beyond – July 15th, 2016
Ghostbusters reboot – July 22nd, 2016
Knights of the Round Table: King Arthur – July 22nd, 2016
Suicide Squad – August 5th, 2016
Spectral – August 12th, 2016
Gambit – October 7th, 2016
A Monster Calls – October 14th, 2016
Doctor Strange – November 4th, 2016
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them – November 18th, 2016
Moana – November 23rd, 2016
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story – December 16th, 2016
Assassin’s Creed – December 21st, 2016
My Own 'Most Eagerly Anticipated' Short List
I plan to see most of these films. But the 'most-looked-forward-to' short list for me is (okay, maybe not so short... we're talking about 15 months and a lot of films so I'll make it a dozen):
1) Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Is there really any need for an explanation here? This is a longtime dream for DC fans (and comic book fans in general). There's reason for confidence that this could be one of the best superhero films ever made, although I'm struggling not to let my hopes soar too high lest they be dashed.
2) Captain America: Civil War - I hope to enjoy this as almost as much as Bats v Supes. I expect it to be great--but in terms of anticipation, for me it can't top finally seeing Superman and Batman together in a film.
3) Star Trek Beyond - I realize I'm probably in the minority on this, but I love the reboot films and their cast.
4) Dr. Strange - Can't wait to see what they do with this unusual character and his mystical powers. This film should be a feast for the eyes. The CGI possibilities are endless.
5) Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens - Honestly, I'm not that huge a SW fan, but I love the idea of its mythos and I'm hopeful that this flick will rock.
6) The Martian - Really looking forward to the science fact drama/thriller this film figures to be.
7) Suicide Squad - I'm not really familiar with any of these characters but I know everyone else is excited to see this--hope it's great.
8) The Last Witch Hunter - There's a good chance this could suck since Diesel often appears in what turn out to be some pretty silly films. But I love the Riddick series and I've got my fingers crossed for this film.
9) Victor Frankenstein - This looks great to me--love the cast!
10) Deadpool - This position is based on my own personal unfamiliarity with the character. FWIW I realize this is a very highly anticipated film by fans who know this superhero.
11) X-Men: Apocalypse - Despite some missteps along the way I love what Fox has done overall with X-Men.
12) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 - Certainly looking forward to the continuing development of Katniss' saga.