Critically acclaimed director, Guillermo del Toro, is known for his attention to detail and stunning work. In a recent interview with Variety magazine Del toro stated that he likes to label his work as a "Horrible beauty" when referring to his upcoming ninth film, Crimson Peak. Guillermo also insists that Crimson Peak is a gothic romance, and not like the traditional horror films he's normally know for. Reviews are still currently under embargo, however, SlashFilm has compiled a list of tweets from filmmakers and fans alike who seem to love the film; Currently the IMDB rating (Take it with a grain of salt) is at 8.9/10 and the film is generating quite the hype among eager fans.
Crimson Peak follows an aspiring author Edith Cushing (Mia Wasikowska) who meets and marries the charismatic Sir Thomas Sharpe (Tom Hiddleston) and quickly finds herself in a remote gothic mansion nestled into the english hills. Also living in the home is, Thomas Sharpe's sister, Lucille Sharpe (Jessica Chastain) who guards the families secrets and affairs. With the ability to communicate with dead, Edith tries to uncover the secrets of the spirits haunting her new home. After digging, Edith soon realizes the worst monsters may be made of flesh and blood.
October 16th, 2015 is going to be huge day in the world of cinema, and especially for fans of Guillermo del Toro and the horror genre. Below I've created a list of my biggest reasons for why I believe Crimson Peak will be a success at the box office, and a soon to be cult classic.
1. First, Guillermo is an absolutely legendary director; Personally he's my number 3 director and inspiration in my top 5.
2. Tom Hiddleston is a wonderful character actor and seeing him in a role where not only will his ability to be charming be tested but also conveying feelings in a horror film and looking genuine is no easy task.
3. Tom Hiddleston is also a hit with the ladies. Go see this movie even if you're just going to stare at the actors in awe.
4. Guillermo's films are not always "mainstream" or enjoyed by the majority of viewers, however, Crimson Peak is being heavily advertised and have generated substantial hype among movie goers.
5. 9 times out of 10 when talking about an upcoming movie with people I get a blank stare and a response similar to "Hmm, sounds cool I guess...". The incredible trailer for Crimson Peak (making the rounds on Youtube and social media sites) must've reached the masses though, because I've had people bring it into conversation without me saying a word. (Quite a big deal for small town Ohio)
6. Finally, I believe that this film will help to restart the horror genre. As a huge fan of horror and the numerous sub-genres I can attest that over the years horror has been lacking. The popularization of "Found Footage" and films with a simpler plot than Air-Bud have slower but surely made horror laughable and mainly appeal to a younger audience. With Guillermo's expertise I truly think we could see a revitalization of period horror films and horror films that resemble art more than a big budget student film.
In closing, I hope that if you hadn't already planned on attending a screen of Crimson Peak that my article has changed your mind. Below is a poll about your excitement for the film, the trailer for the film as well as ways to connect with me on social media. Thank you for reading and until next time, "Manténgase miedo" (Stay afraid)