So we are onto season 2, episode 2 of Gotham and it is already has a lot more action than we saw most of the 1st season. We are getting some new villains: Tigress, Bad Barbara, Theo Galavan and more to come!
Then we are reintroduced to Jerome Valeska - Cameron Monaghan as perhaps the baddest villain of them all. He was in Arkham Asylum (for the Season 1 killing of his circus mom) but freed by Theo/Tabitha. So far Gotham writers won’t confirm he is the Joker but they sure are making a lot of innuendos to keep us watching.
I don’t know about you, but so far Jerome Valeska is one of my new favorite Jokers! He has the laugh, the eyebrows and the crazy down! He’s got the mannerisms, take a look at the scene in the 2nd episode where they’re playing Russian Roulette, I think you would agree. If the writers somehow kill him off (the writers established that no one is safe yet on Gotham), I don’t know where they would find a better actor to be the Joker? He is also the type of Joker we have never seen, one without a mask/make up but still a crazy/psycho killer. In other movies we’ve seen glimpses of other villains before their transformation (Catwoman, Mr. Freeze, the Riddler, etc.) but never as children/teens. Perhaps this is why Gotham has had me and others hooked? Now I am not going to say he is the best Joker ever, I don’t want to have mobs with pitchforks and torches come after me, but he’s now definitely favorite.
Like me some of you may not remember or know all about the different incarnations Joker. Here's just a summary of his lengthy history: he was created (in the Batman comics) in the 1940’s based on the Joker logo on playing cards but his story was retold in 1951 as the villain the Red Hood who falls into a vat chemicals. His story has been re told a few times in the comics. Basically they transformed him from a maniacal playing card joker/court jester to a mass murderer.
- The 1st Joker on film, was Cesar Romero in the 1960’s Batman TV series.
- The 2nd Joker was Jack Nicholson in Tim Burton’s Batman (1989). As a child he scared the hell out of me, am still scared of Jack Nicholson to this day. Which I’m sure others are for good reason (“Here’s Johnny!).
- The 3rd (or 4th see note below) is the most famous, arguably the best Joker ever on film: Heath Ledger in Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight (2006). Heath also won an Oscar posthumously for his role. He was everything we wanted the Joker to be and who knows how he could of added to the role were he still alive.
- Now we have Cameron Monaghan to add to the list!
Take a look at the previous jokers here:
* Side note: Mark Hamill has voiced the Joker in Batman: The Animated Series and other animated shows/video games. Just for this laugh he is worth listing!
Soon we’ll have Jared Leto’s Batman. How will he fare? He has an “updated” look with caps and tattoos. Does he have the laugh down? From the clips it’s close. We’ll just have to see...Though I still might list him under Monaghan.
After Heath Ledger who is your favorite Joker?
Maybe Gotham will give us another Harley Quinn?! that would be something to really look forward too!