For me, Home Alone is the best holiday movie of all time. No question about it.
Even though the heartwarming family film opened way back in 1990, I still watch it every year and there's a reason why it's on five times a week between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The story of the young kid left to his own devices during the festive period - and forced to fend off a couple of bumbling crooks - is an instant classic and will probably continue to be shown well long after our Sun explodes and humans all cease to exist.
The movie not only shot child star Macaulay Culkin to stratospheric fame, but also brought together some of the most legendary actors working in the business today. Here's some things you may not know about one of the best (and perhaps one of the most sadistic) comedies ever:
1. The famous movie poster is based on Edvard Munch's painting 'The Scream'
2. Some people believe that Elvis Presley makes a cameo in the movie
Yep, apparently some think that Presley is in fact alive and well, appearing with a huge beard in the background of the scene in which Mrs. McCallister yells at the desk clerk.
Make of that what you will.
3. Joe Pesci avoided Macaulay Culkin on set
This was in attempts to make the little boy think that he was actually really mean. Pesci took his role very seriously, you see.
4. Pesci also kept forgetting he was in a family movie
During filming, he kept cursing so director Christopher Columbus had him say 'fridge' instead of the f-word. Oh, and in the scene where Harry bites Kevin's finger, Joe actually bit little Macaulay and left a scar on his finger! Ouch.
5. Old Man Marley wasn't in the original screenplay
Even though he is a big part of the movie.
6. Daniel Stern wasn't actually screaming when he had that huge tarantula on his face
Such a loud noise would have actually scared the spider, so he only mimed the scream and the actual shriek was dubbed in later. Apparently, Stern was also terrified of the creepy crawler and would only allow it to sit on his face for one take. Fair enough, I say.
7. Robert De Niro almost got the role of Harry
Unfortunately, he turned it down.
8. Gangster flick Angels With Filthy Souls doesn't actually exist
Here are the producers talking about how the movie-within-a-movie was made:
"Keep the change ya filthy animal!" Love it.
9. The role of Uncle Frank was specifically written for Kelsey Grammer
10. "You guys give up, or are you thirsty for more?" was an improvised line
The line wasn't originally scripted. Another version of the line also appeared in the second movie - "Hey, you guys give up? Have you had enough pain?"
11. The house in the movie was sold for $1.585 million in 2012
And from that time on, it was also promoted as a tourist attraction.
12. Home Alone was entered into The Guinness Book of World Records
Back in the day, it was considered to be the highest box office gross comedy for accumulating $17,081,997 in 1202 theaters in its opening weekend. it also maintained its No. 1 spot for a whopping total of 12 weeks, remaining in the top ten until June of the following year. Incredible!