Hello Marvel fans & Newcomers !!!! A lot of lists are available on the internet, on how the Marvel Cinematic Universe should be watched, to make it more accessible to newcomers. These range from a very inconvenient and messy chronological order, to one with only the movies, discarding the rest as non-canon, to the very list given below. Given below, is the list the way Marvel wants viewers to watch the MCU.
The list is made by sorting the movies in the order Marvel released them, which is also the most accessible way. Marvel groups these movies into "Phases", as in, arcs. The TV shows, web-series and Netflixshows are added into the Phaselist by American release date and crossover. One-shots (short movies) are listed right below the movie they come with. Some movies at the end credits hace scenes !!! I let you know which movies have it !
- Iron Man (2008) - 1 credit scene.
- The Incredible Hulk (2008)
- Iron Man 2 (2010) - 1 credit scene.
- Thor (2011) - 1 credit scene.
- The Consultant (one-shot released with Thor home release)
- Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) - 1 credit scene.
- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer (one-shot released with Captain America: The First Avenger home release)
- The Avengers (2012) - 2 credit scenes.
- Item 47 (one-shot released with The Avengers home release)
End of Phase 1
IMPORTANT NOTE: In-universe, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk and Thor take place during the same week. The beginning of Thor takes place in the middle of Iron Man 2, and the end to The Incredible Hulk take place right after Iron Man 2 and The Consultant.
While large part of Captain America: The First Avenger takes place during WWII, the ending takes place after Thor and a year before The Avengers.
Parts of Thor take place before all of this.
Just don't think too much about it, unless you complete Phase 1. Then it will be easy to follow.
- Iron Man 3 (2013) - 1 credit scene.
- Agent Carter (one-shot released with Iron Man 3 home release)
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Season 1 (ABC Series) Episodes 1-7
- Thor: The Dark World (2013) - 2 credit scenes.
- All Hail the King (one-shot released with Thor: The Dark World home release)
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Season 1 (ABC Series) Episodes 8-16
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) - 2 credit scenes.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Season 1 (ABC series) Episodes 17-22
- Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - 1 credit scene.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Season 2 (ABC Series) Episodes 1-10
- Agent Carter Season 1 (ABC series)
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Season 2 (ABC series) Episodes 11-16
- Daredevil Season 1 (Complete season, Netflix series)
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Season 2 (ABC series) Episodes 17-19
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) - 1 credit scene.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Season 2 (ABC series) Episodes 20-22
- WHIH Newsfront (web-series on Youtube)
- Ant-Man (2015) - 2 credit scenes.
End of Phase 2
IMPORTANT NOTE: Daredevil Season 1 can be watched anytime between The Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron.
Agent Carter Season 1 and parts of Ant-Man take place after Captain America: The First Avenger and before Iron Man. Parts of Thor: The Dark World takes place before all of it, including the first scene of Thor.
Then again, just stick to the order of the list and all shall be fine for you.
Phase 3 hasn't started yet. The following movies are confirmed as part of Phase 3:
- Captain America: Civil War (May 3, 2016)
- Doctor Strange (November 4, 2016)
- Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 (May 5, 2017)
- Spider-Man (July 28, 2017)
Tom Holland is out new Spiderman. It will be a reboot of the Spider-Man franchise.
- Thor: Ragnarok (November 3, 2017)
- Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 (May 4, 2018)
- Black Panther (July 6, 2018)
- Captain Marvel (November 2, 2018)
- Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 (May 3, 2019)
- Inhumans (July 12, 2019)
TV shows (ABC series) confirmed to take place between this movies are:
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Season 3 (September 29, 2015).
- Agent Carter Season 2 (January 2016).
ABC also has plans for 2 new series:
- Marvel’s Most Wanted (A new series following Mokingbird & Lance Hunter) (TBA).
- Marvel's Damage Control (The Marvel cleaning crew specializes in dealing with the aftermath of the unique fallout from super hero conflicts. They are the ones who are in charge of returning lost ray guns to their rightful owners, help to reschedule a wedding venue after it has been vaporized in a super hero battle or even track down a missing prize African parrot that’s been turned to stone or goo. Sometimes the most important super heroes are the ones behind the scenes — and that’s who “Damage Control” will follow) (TBA).
Netflix shows confirmed include:
- Jessica Jones (November 10, 2015)
- Daredevil Season 2 (2016)
- Luke Cage (2016)
- Iron Fist (TBA)
- The Defenders (TBA)
The Defenders bring together the above-mentioned characters along (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist) with heroes from the films, assuming they – like Agents of SHIELD – take place in the same universe which they likely will.
The main reason to not watch this in chronological order is because, the series isn't released in that order. For example, Agent Carter Season 2 (unreleased as of now) will fill in between Agent Carter Season 1 and Iron Man. There are huge gaps in time, that Marvel is filling in right now with new material, like they did with Ant-Man.
The order will be updated after any official confirmation!!! Hope you enjoy the Marvel Cinematic Universe !!!
Need help ? Contact me ! ;)