If you've been on Netflix, social media, or even scrolling through the TV channels you're bound to have seen a little show called Supernatural. Whether or not you've binged the current 10 seasons is the real reason we're here though. Let's start by going over what Supernatural is, other than an emotional roller coaster that'll take over your every thought and have you question what that weird noise was coming from the kitchen, it's at its minimum a drama about the unknown. according to IMDB the plot of Supernatural is as follows: Two brothers (Sam and Dean Winchester) follow their father's footsteps as "hunters" fighting evil supernatural beings of many kinds including monsters, demons, and gods that roam the earth.
So why should you catch up on the 228 episodes that aired prior to season 11? Well, that's what we're going to talk about! Below I've listed ten reasons (in no particular order) as to why you should binge these 10 seasons and become a full on Supernatural junkie.
- The community: Supernatural has an immense following, and fans of the show are always eager to talk about it. there are the casual fans who've seen some episodes and enjoy it but Supernatural has also attracted the die-hards; tattoos based on the show, driving a replica of Dean's car, and naming children after characters are just a few things that the mega fans of Supernatural will and have done. The community is extremely accepting and will not only encourage you to join but also insist you catch up so you can "Fangirl" together.
- Dean's Car: The famous black 1967 Chevy Impala, 327, 4-barrel, automatic V-8 (as dean loving spills out whenever asked) was given to Dean from his father John and is a staple of the show. You don't have to be a fan of cars to swoon after the beautiful 4-door impala driven by the boys. Dean refers to this gem as "Baby" and it's used in the show almost as a tool to keep him grounded. No matter the hardships they face or what happens to this vehicle it always makes a comeback as the Winchester's trusty stead.
- The actors themselves: The beauty of Supernatural is connecting with the characters. Sam and Dean are relatable, sure we don't ALL hunt demons, and only some of us are as smooth as them, but they feel like people you know. Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles (Sam and Dean retrospectively) are the real people that portray these phenomenal characters and after watching the show you'll understand what i mean when i say they deserve a tremendous thank you.
- The Story: Emotional roller coaster is an understatement when you talk about Supernatural. The portrayal of characters and the emotion you can feel from each episode is outstanding. Each season has an overall theme but every episode has it's own moment whether it be gut-wrenchingly sad, inspiring, or comical. You'll love these characters and each time something happens it effects you deeply. I've felt every emotion possible watching Supernatural and I'd just like to warn you that sometimes you'll feel exactly like Dean in the GIF below!
- The soundtrack: I was raised listening to music such as Metallica, Led Zepplin, and AC/DC by my father. When the music started the first time I watched Supernatural I was transported back to the days my dad and I spent in the car listening to this music, just like Dean and John in the show. Sure that sounds like a stretch but there's something about this music that builds an emotional connection. Even if you don't have a childhood connection with "Don't fear the Reaper" or "Back in Black" you'll still find yourself humming the music throughout your day and being on the edge of your seat when the title screen flashes and you hear a 80s-90s hit come on.
- Comedy gold: The writers of Supernatural know their audience...maybe even too well. sprinkled throughout the show are numerous references to things, but the best part is the show being self-aware or doing the fans a service. A meta episode where characters wake up as actors playing themselves, comic conventions, stalker-like fans, Sam and Dean cosplayers, and the fanfiction references are just a few amazing things the writers have done to let you know not only are they listening, but they care. Supernatural can't be defined by just one genre, but you can expect some hilarious moments and things that'll make you question just how far this show will go to service its fans.
- Attraction: Let's be completely honest for a minute; The characters in this show are attractive and that's okay. Not only are Sam, Dean, Castiel, and many other men played by attractive actors, but there are also gorgeous women who portray other characters and side roles. If your going to watch well over 200 hours of something, it doesn't hurt to having something good to look at. In short, even if you're not a fan of the show and someone else wants to watch it, please them, you'll have eye candy for the length of the episode.
- Mythology: Supernatural is a nerd's wet dream for information. Not only does the show have its own extensive lore (covered in the show and in numerous books) but it also references Greek mythology, real life supernatural lore, and religious beliefs. Not everything in the show is something you can "Take to the bank" but with extensive monsters and scenarios you'll be fascinated by the work the writers have put in. Monsters make multiple appearances and story lines sometimes weave in and out for seasons at a time. The attention to detail is incredibly impressive and watching the shows feels almost educational sometimes. (I can absolutely kill a vampire if the situation arises!)
- The visuals: As a big movie guy I find myself judging shows and movies on their effects quite often. Supernatural does an incredible job of incorporating both practical effects and CGI into the show. With Supernatural being a TV show based around unearthly beings, you expect special effects and things the average person can't achieve. They not only deliver on every expectation, but completely blow it out of the water. The effects used for monsters as well as other elements of the show are done incredibly well and look believable, whoever works in the effects department for Supernatural deserves a huge pat on the back. Not only are the effects great but the cinematography and general feel of the show are impeccable. Each episode of Supernatural feels like its own monster movie and you can see the thought that was put into every shot.
- Hunters: Supernatural's cast is phenomenal and some of the most lovable characters are refereed to as "Hunters". Hunters are people that, as the title insinuates, hunt supernatural creatures. Sam and Dean are second generation hunters and it's the only life they know. However, in a world where demons can ruin your day you need some friends to help out every once in a while. Bobby, Jo, Ellen, and Garth are just some of the amazing hunters you'll meet throughout Supernatural and fall in love with.
Overall Supernatural is a an incredible show with a loyal fan base and phenomenal story. Not alot of people were viewers early on and that's totally okay, you can watch it on Netflix, Amazon Instant, and even through your cable provider. Without spoiling anything I can honestly tell you that Supernatural is a wild ride that will consume your thoughts and make you a mega fan overnight.
Below I've left an episode of my Youtube series "The Queue Review" where I talk about movies and shows available on Netflix. My Youtube page can be found here and make sure to follow me on Twitter (here) and MoviePilot to keep up on everything I do! Until next time, remember for some people, death is just a phrase. Season 11 airs Wednesdays on the CW.