Since the first installment of the series was released in 1997, Grand Theft Auto has established itself as one of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful gaming franchises of all time. Additionally, GTA has sold more than 220 million units to date and drawn a dedicated fanbase.
In order to celebrate the success and the awesomeness of the series, here are 10 GTA facts that you (probably) didn't know:
1. 'GTA III' was released in 2001 but due to the 9/11 terrorist attacks, Rockstar had to make some changes to the game
While in the game Liberty City still represents a fictionalized version of New York, the appearance of cops was drastically changed to look more generic and less like the NYPD. In addition, several missions were changed or omitted and even a character called Darkel had to be cut from the game. However, Rockstar has stated that only about 1% of the game was actually cut.
2. Over the course of the franchise Rockstar has suffered several lawsuits from normal citizens all over the world to celebrities
The total amount of GTA-related lawsuits against Rockstar totals over $1 billion so far.
3. The world records for beating 'GTA IV' and 'GTA V' are 5 hours and 37 minutes & 7 hours and 25 minutes respectively
Even more impressively, GTA III has been beaten in just 71 minutes. Nevertheless, the most mesmerizing record is held by player Fil_maj_rasz, who managed to beat Vice City in just 57 minutes and 29 seconds.
4. 'GTA V's script was about 3,500 pages long and included almost 160,000 lines of dialogue
To put that in perspective, the previous installment of the series, GTA IV, had about 80,000 lines of dialogue.
5. 'GTA V' made a mind-boggling $1 billion within the first three days of the game's release. However, at the same time the game itself cost $137 million to develop
This means that developing GTA V cost more than the production of most movies.
6. Only two characters of minor age have appeared in the series so far
The first one is Mary-Beth Williams, a baby in Vice City Stories whose both parents are killed and the second one is GTA IV’s Jill Von Crastenburg, a rich and famous hotel-chain heiress with a penchant for the party lifestyle.
7. 'GTA IV’s protagonist, Niko Bellic, was inspired by Vladimir Mashkov’s henchman character Sasha from 'Behind Enemy Lines' (2001)
Mashkov was even offered the chance to voice Niko, but he turned down the offer.
8. OG Loc from 'GTA: San Andreas' is a spoof of rapper Ja Rule: they both share the first name - Jeffrey and Loc’s stealing of Madd Dogg’s lyrics reflects Rule’s copying of music from DMX and 2Pac
In addition, another character from the game - Ryder, bears an uncanny resemblance to the infamous N.W.A rapper Eazy-E (whose music is included in the game’s soundtrack).
9. There are a few real-life celebrities who have appeared as themselves in the 'GTA' series to date. Firstly, legendary musician Phil Collins appeared in 'GTA: Vice City Stories' and you even had the opportunity to experience an in-game performance of 'In The Air Tonight'. Secondly, Lazlow Jones, a talk show host was a voice character until 'GTA V', where he appears in several missions involving Michael’s daughter Tracey
Furthermore, comedian Ricky Gervais makes an appearance in the Split Sides comedy club in Grand Theft Auto IV.
10. The Havana clothes in 'GTA: Vice City' bear a strong resemblance with the clothes worn by an extra in the first episode of 'Miami Vice' (1984-1990)
Moreover, the Mr. Vercetti outfit in the game is likely based on one of detective Ricardo Tubbs's suits.
So, there you have it! I hope you have enjoyed reading this post! What is your favorite GTA-related piece of trivia?