SNL sensation Kristen Wiig has come out and responded to the negative reactions surrounding next year's Ghostbusters reboot, invoking a classic parental adage, "It didn’t make me mad, it just really bummed me out."
Speaking with the Los Angeles Times, the actress was asked whether she had any idea that the concept would spark such controversy, responding:
"No. And the fact there was so much controversy because we were women was surprising to me. Some people said some really not nice things about the fact that there were women. It didn’t make me mad, it just really bummed me out. We’re really honoring those movies."
The "really not nice things" were said when director Paul Feig revealed that the team he's gonna call are all female:
As it turned out, a considerable portion of Ghostbusters fans ain't afraid of no ghosts, but they're pretty terrified of women.
The sexist backlash on Twitter was swift and dismaying:
Though some were just angry with Hollywood's remake obsession:
It wasn't long before director Paul Feig hit back:
Feig has previously vented his frustrations with the response:
"I just go, what would make me excited to do it? I go: four female Ghostbusters to me is really fun. I want to see that dynamic. When people accuse it of being a gimmick I go, why is a movie starring women considered a gimmick and a movie starring men is just a normal movie?"
Being protective about a childhood-favorite franchise is one thing, dismissing a reboot on the grounds of its cast's gender is another.
Ghostbusters is scheduled for release on July 15, 2016.