Can you all believe that Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is just a mere five months away? Everyone seems to be very excited for the next installment in DC's Extended Universe. The Justice League is perhaps the most popular superhero team of all time alongside The Avengers and X-Men. The primary element that has people so intrigued is how well Ben Affleck will do in stepping into the role of Batman preceding Christian Bale's outstanding run in the Nolan trilogy. A lot has been kept secret so far and we aren't really sure what to expect heading into BvS, but a recent article in Total Film Magazine gave us a couple new pieces of information about what we can expect from the Batfleck!
*All bullet points are from Total Film Magazine and their piece on Batman vs Superman*
1. Batman is more mature
• Ben Affleck's Batman "is a little more mature" says Batman producer Charles Roven. "He's been doing it for a long time. Maybe jaded by it and darkened by it. He's tougher. He's different."
So it seems that the fans' speculation was true and Batman will be pretty seasoned as the caped crusader. This seems pretty evident by the fact that Bruce Wayne looked a bit older and there is a big possibility that Jason Todd has already died as Robin. There definitely seems to be history between Batman and The Joker from what we have seen so far as well, so it seems like we were right!
2. Batman has led a crime-fighting crusade!
• Batman has "been around the block" and led a "successful crime-fighting campaign in Gotham City"; has kept the streets clean using "questionable methods."
Batman has always been an inspiring figure for vigilantism among the citizens of Gotham. His presence paved the way for a bunch of other vigilantes to come out of their shells and I'm sure that this "Crime-fighting campaign" has something to do with that.
3. Batman will still be wanted by police
• Batman is "still a vigilante," adds Roven. "And he's technically still wanted by police."
This may be pretty obvious but Batman's questionable approach to justice does not sit very well with some people. Batman has always had people in law enforcement want to see him behind bars, so this does not come as any surprise.
4. We may have clarity on THAT BvS Trailer Scene!
• Bruce Wayne will be featured in a Man of Steel flashback scene.
Again, this one is quite obvious but it is good to finally have clarity, Bruce Wayne will appear in a Man of Steel flashback scene. Most likely the scene where Bruce is running towards the Wayne Financial building during the apparent Superman vs. Zod fight sequence in Man of Steel.
5. The Batman v Superman fight scene is going to be EPIC!
• Cavill's take on the fight: "...a seriously cool spectacle... there's only so much I can say, but it's epic. Really, very cool."
Visually speaking, this clash between Batman and Superman is going to be one for the ages. I think the majority of fans have felt that way for quite some time and Henry Cavill's comments only add to the excitement!
6. Batman has the advantage over Superman?
• Zack Snyder on the Batman v Superman fight: "The advantage that Batman has is the goodness of Superman; the compliance to fair play that Superman has... Batman knows how to exploit Superman."
So Zack Snyder says that Batman has the advantage in the clash because he can use Superman's kindness against him. This honestly does make sense since Batman is a lot more cut throat and violent and Superman always tries to avoid killing. It will be interesting to see how this narrative plays out on screen!
7. Batman will use a souped up Super Suit!
• Batman will use his wits, resourcefulness, "souped up supersuit with armor"; don't bet against Batman using kryptonite
Batman's new suit that he custom built to take on Superman looks pretty awesome! As an homage to Iron Man, I nicknamed it the Supe-Buster as it is quite literally a suit built to bust up Superman! Affleck looks like a walking take and it should be really epic! And he will most likely use kryptonite against Superman!
8. The Bat Suit armor is CGI
• The Bat armor suit was created with CGI; Affleck wore "visual effects pajamas."
Visual effect pajamas? That's a new one, but it's apparent that the new armored suit is in no fit to actually be worn by a regular person. You have to be a beast in order to walk around in that thing and that is why Bruce Wayne is a superhero. The CGI on the suit looks pretty good so far and I can't wait to see it in action!
9. Ben Affleck put on 30 pounds for the role!
• Affleck piled on 30 pounds of muscle to play Batman in a 14 month time period. Affleck offered: "Rather than doing the shredded, ripped model version of a superhero, I just put on as much muscle as I can, to look like a UFC fighter or an American football player, or something like that."
30 pounds of muscle? That is insane! Ben Affleck has always been a very fit guy but that is a whole other level! He definitely puts in the work required to pull off a good Batman and I for one am very excited to see him!
• It's noted Affleck is "dreading" doing it (exercising) all over again for the sequels.
10. Batman v Superman is not an adaptation of Frank Miller's 'The Dark Knight'
• Batman v Superman is not an adaptation of Frank Miller's 'The Dark Knight' graphic novel.
Many fans thought that Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice would borrow heavily from Frank Miller's critically acclaimed graphic novel The Dark Knight. While it may have some elements in the film that are similar, BvS is far from a direct adaptation. It will be interesting to see how they expand on this storyline and make it unique to the DCEU.
11. Bruce Wayne despises Lex Luthor?
• Bruce Wayne doesn't get along with Lex Luthor.
Many theorist have suggested that Lex Luthor will manipulate Batman's mind and use him on his crusade to destroy Superman. Well, that theory seems to have been shut down and seems pretty unlikely. It will be interesting to see just how Lex will play into the storyline. The red capes are coming!
12. Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman have a mutual interest?
• Batman shares a mutual interest with Wonder Woman and Superman in that they are "looking for a similar thing."
We all know that at some point Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman will all team up as members of the Justice League, but what will they all have in common in BvS? The most likely outcome is that they all see through Lex Luthor's evil ways and team up to stop him. Or will a more diabolical force awaken and challenge the three heroes?
13. Ben Affleck wants to direct a standalone Batman film!
• Affleck is interested in directing a standalone Batman movie.
We have heard rumors for quite some time about Ben Affleck helming the stand alone Batman films as director. Now Total Film mag is confirming that there is a mutual interest between both parties. Ben Affleck has been extremely praised for his work directing-wise in years past, so I think that this would be an amazing idea!
Batman v Superman is going to be EPIC!
BvS is setting up to be one of the biggest comic book films ever! Everything that we have seen so far looks fantastic and I personally am loving the general direction that DC is moving in. I truly can not wait and I will surely be the first in line to see if Superman bleeds or not!