UPDATE (AGAIN) 10/31/205 12:15PM
These Power Rangers rumors are more confusing than the ending of Matrix Revolution, I mean did Neo die or what? Apparently my information I got from the Collider report about the Power Ranger name change may have been a little bit off. I may have gotten one,two, or all five names wrong. According to Screenrant via the Power Rangers official twitter page the Rangers names are in fact: Jason, Kimberley, Billy, Zack, and Trini.
I may be wrong again but, what the fudge. Here are some more assumptions. If the latter is true then I am just going to assume that everything else about the $35M budget to be false, and the whole Dino Charge theme to be false. This latest report lends itself to the reboot information that was leaked some time ago per Screenrant. If you don't remember I will refresh your memory, put your reading glasses on:
• The story will begin during the cretaceous period on Earth, where Zordon–the original Red Ranger–and his team of Power Rangers are fighting Rita Repulsa and Goldar. Zordon detonates a black hole, in order to defeat Rita.
• Fast forward 65 million years to Angel’s Grove, California where we meet 17 year old Jason at Hart Automotive.
• Next, we meet Zack at a Dave & Busters. Zack is athletically gifted but does not play any sports for his high school–he’s not exactly a team player.
• Meanwhile, back at Hart Automotive we meet Kimberly, a perfectionist on every level (and romantically involved with Jason).
• We are then in a bedroom where we meet Billy who is brilliant in his own way.
• Finally, we meet Trini, the loner and free spirit of the group. She is out in the desert doing yoga.
• Jason and Billy investigate a T-rex fossil at a military base, which leads them to discover the five power coins that belonged to the first Power Rangers.
• Zack, Billy, Trini, Jason & Kimberly meet up & work as a team together for the first time when a meteor shower that struck the moon cause massive waves on Earth to surge inland – threatening the residents of Angel Grove.
• Elsewhere, in a mysterious portal room, Zordon reappears. An ethereal version of his entire body hovers in a glass tube. He meets the robot, Alpha 5.
• Alpha 5 informs Zordon that when he detonated the black hole in the opening scene, it tore the fabric of time around the solar system, transporting them years into the future.
• Zordon realizes that Rita Repulsa is also alive and that her starship landed in Russia.
• Rita Repulsa awakens in Russia and begins her quest to find gold, as a means of reviving Goldar (whose molecular presence scattered around the globe in the form of gold after the black hole opened up).
• Back at the command center on Zordon’s ship, Zordon and Alpha 5 discover Rita’s plan.
• Zordon and Alpha 5 discover the power coins have already bonded with five teenage humans on Earth and fears they are not ready to be Power Rangers, let alone save the world.
The above description is a movie I would be excited for. The Dino Charge movie would have been a turn off for a number of people (if that many people actually care). With the cast of the original 5 rangers in tact I am hoping there is a mysterious casting for another ranger Tommy Oliver. I reported that Scorpina being the main antagonist yesterday and while that may or may not be true it is a good thing that her name has been brought up since she was part of the original group of monsters working for Rita. I am sure this won't be the last of an update. Hopefully we get a Green Ranger update.
There you have it, like Tommy losing his powers I'm out.
Becky Gomez aka Becky G rounds out the original five rangers she joins Dacre Montgomery (Red Ranger), Naomi Scott as the (Pink Ranger), Ludi Lin (Black Ranger) and R.J. Cyler (Blue Ranger) in the upcoming Saban’s Power Rangers.. I recently saw Gomez on a couple of episodes of Empire (if you aren’t watching the show your life must suck) as the potential lead singer of an all Latino girl group started by Hakeem for Lyon Dynasty. Unfortunately she left Lyon Dynasty quicker than Mase left G-Unit. She was enticed by Luscious who bought her out and made her his solo artist for Empire. Here we are singer turned Power Ranger ready to make her big screen debut, I wonder if this was part of her Empire deal.
I've also learned that I was hoodwinked, bamboozled by some news I read earlier about Power Rangers. Early reports of the plot for Power Ranger appear to have been nothing more than just rumors. According to Spinoff.com “Lionsgate’s “Power Rangers” film will follow the events of “Power Rangers Dino Charge,” the most recent version of the television show; the “Dino Charge” characters will appear in the opening sequence. Additionally, the film will shoot in Vancouver from January to April in 2016 and feature Scorpina, “the ruthless and dangerous minion of Rita Repulsa,” as an antagonist.”
Those reports conflict greatly with the original plot details that leaked several months ago which featured Rita and Goldar as the antagonist. Spinoff’s report appears to be more directly related to the current TV series (Dino Charge) as more of a sequel than an actual reboot. This movie will allegedly feature cameos from the current Dino Charge characters as a passing of the torch to the new rangers. One bonus is that Dacre Montgomery’s character’s last name is Oliver (see below). I am always one to speculate, so it would be cool if Callum Oliver was actually the son of Tommy Oliver played by long time Power Ranger alum, CM Punk hater, MMA Fighting Jason David Frank.
Apparently the Power Rangers reboot won’t be a reboot at all this, according to IGN.com. In fact, the name of the movie it self has been deemed “Saban’s Power Rangers.” It is said that the script underwent some changes, which lead to some character changes that won’t be associated with the old series. Fortunately the concept will stay the same with each ranger being paired with a Zord.
Fans of the original version will be excited to know that the original Zords will be featured plus the old costumes will make an appearance at some point within the movie. The casting news had kept consistent with early reports of the cast being relatively unknown. The news about the budget fits what has been happening with the movie so far. Reportedly this will be a low budget film with a $35 million base.
These are some interesting developments to say the least. It’s hard to gauge the pulse of the nation when it comes to the excitement or anticipation of this film, but I am curious to say the least. As someone who was brought up watching Power Rangers from 1992 up until they killed Zordon in 1999 with the ending of Power Rangers in Space. I hope that there is some sort of connection between the original movie and this one. I would like to see the many uniforms (suites/costumes) displayed across the command center kind of like the Batcave or Iron Man's lab.
Bellow are the new names for the characters matched up with their early description:I mixed in the updated names.
Oscar Fernandez – The Black Ranger/Mastodon
17 years old, always the life of the party. Filled with bravado and swagger, Oscar’s tough and cool on the exterior. A charming guy who’s never had trouble with the one-liner, nor lacked confidence around women. A great athlete that’s never wanted to play on any team but his own. Oscar advertises everything about himself, except the truth, which is that he lives in a trailer park with his single mom, and because of it, feels deeply inferior to all his peers. Ludi Lin
Priya Patel – The Pink Ranger/Pterodactyl
17 years old, unconventionally cool all in a way the popular girls wish they were. In fact, she was one of those girls, but isn’t anymore. Not since she’s returned to school after an absence of 6 months. Rumors are flying as to why; rumors she seems not to care about, because she’s come back with this new rebel-without-a-cause, edgy attitude. But the truth is, it’s all masking a deep secret that makes her feel profoundly vulnerable. Naomi Scott
Brian Olson – The Blue Ranger/Triceratops
17 years old, slight and awkward. Brian is challenged in his abilities to communicate and interact socially. Whip-smart and sweet, but always odd. Sometimes in a fun way, sometimes not, Brian is a kid with no filter. Showing his emotions, understanding sarcasm, and dealing with his OCD is a constant challenge. Has never really had any friends and instantly gravitates towards Callum. RJ Cyler
Teyana Jones – The Yellow Ranger/Sabre-tooth Tiger
17 years old, mysterious and extremely bright. Her parents constantly move for work, making Teyana the perpetual new girl to any school. A loner who owns it, Teyana is self-sufficient, contemplative, but always observant. All she wants is to find her gang of friends, but she’ll never admit it – least of all to herself. Becky Gomez
Callum Oliver – The Red Ranger/Tyrannosaurus
17 years old, the makings of someone or something great if he would just get out of his own way. Callum was a legend of this town—a freshman quarterback with the skills to take him all the way. People knew his name. Children wore his jersey. Until, one night Callum wrapped his car around a pole and busted out his knee. Everything Callum was going to become ended in an instant. And with it, he lost himself. When we meet him at the start of the film, he’s a kid in need of redemption. By the end, he’ll be leading this disparate group of teens to shed their individual baggage and find who they truly are. Dacre Montgomery
The cast of creators gives me confidence with Dean Israelite directing, Allison Shearmur as producer, and Ashley Miller as lead writer. These new changes could be a disaster or it could be refreshing. I still have more questions than answers. Will the brains behind the Rangers pay homage to the old Rangers? Most importantly, where is the Green Ranger?